How to save $150 on an iPhone (new customers)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Someone tell me if they see a flaw in this:

Ok, what you do is sign up for AT&T and get a Blackjack. After contract discount and mail-in rebate, it costs $75. Mail in the rebate and sell the Blackjack on Ebay. I've seen most recent auctions going for $200-$250. Then, buy the iPhone and activate it. Because you make $125-$175 on the Blackjack sale (or another phone if there's a better profit margin to be had) it's essentially saving money on the iPhone!

This works because you have to pay full price for the iPhone regardless, unlike other phones which all have plan discounts.

So, wadaya think??

Reaction score
Someone tell me if they see a flaw in this:

Ok, what you do is sign up for AT&T and get a Blackjack. After contract discount and mail-in rebate, it costs $75. Mail in the rebate and sell the Blackjack on Ebay. I've seen most recent auctions going for $200-$250. Then, buy the iPhone and activate it. Because you make $125-$175 on the Blackjack sale (or another phone if there's a better profit margin to be had) it's essentially saving money on the iPhone!

This works because you have to pay full price for the iPhone regardless, unlike other phones which all have plan discounts.

So, wadaya think??

This is true. There is nothing holding customers back from doing this. There are no eligibility requirements for buying the iPhone for any customers. If you have the money you can get it even if you just bought another phone 10 mins ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Cleaver idea, but no guarantee your Blackjack will sell for the price you want.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ebay is so big, it is like a marketplace environment all in itself. If you see a few items going for a certain price, chances are you will get pretty darn close to it yourself. That's been my experience. Just like the high volume of iPhone spilling on the Ebay "market" and the price being forced down.

Besides, you're sure to get a significant amount more than $75, like $150 which would still save money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
Definitely will work. I was actually discussing this with a fellow employee tonight after work. His Verizon contract ends in August, to which he will be switching to AT&T. Just adds an additional week or so to your planned purchase date (new contract sign-up, eBay sale) not to mention those mail-in rebates usually take several weeks and you have to still be using the phone as they are mailing you the check.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, have to nix this idea. I read the fine print of the rebate and you have to have the features required for the rebate to be active when they process the rebate, which could be up to 10-12 weeks. This means I'd have to keep the extra $40 data or $20 unlimited text plan on for maybe 2-3 weeks. Could still turn a profit, but kinda rips away from the profit margin and the time investment isn't worth it.. Those guys don't miss a trick!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.