Website Basic

T

TylerMoney

Hey, I'm working on a new website. Here is the basic setup of it. I have all the pages and what not linked, but there isn't anything in them. The building in the bottom right will take you back to the home page from any page, aside from the home page itself.

Just tell me what you guys think....it loads a bit slow at first, then the second time you go to the pages, it goes faster; I'm working on that as well....

tp://stu.aii.edu/~tgg151/ (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Really interesting art! :)

OP
C

cyanide

Yeah, it's interesting...

I agree about the slow-loading pics... You should try to shave down the file-size a bit

OP
R

Ryanstech

Are those the weird towers in Chicago right on the river? They resemble them.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Yes, those are the weird towers in Chicago right on the river. Mr friend took the pic while we were searching for hotdog shopes...(specific ones)...it's a good picture...but if I would of had my camera at the time...I would've taken some more...

yes, I'm gonna attempt to shrink file size.....though I don't thinks that's actually the problem....also, I'm more worried about design right now...it's for a basic webdesign class for school. And looking good is the important part...though I will fix the loading..hopefully.

So, is interesting a good thing? I know it does seem a bit out of the ordinary maybe, but does it look good? I think it looks pretty good...it's not finished of course (as I mentioned before), but I'm trying to make it very consitant, and easy to find yourself around, while at the same time appealing to the eye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I don't know (unless I read ur post on the forum) that the building image on ur site takes me to the index page. Try labelling the building at the bottom of the page so that the visitors to ur page know what it is for. I mean, if I hover over the image, it changes, but how am I meant to know I have to hover over it? A tiny label somewhere around would probably help. My 2 pence...

Nice artwork though

OP
R

RobDreugan

I'd keep the main picture as it looks the best.

I'd then think of a better way to display the links, w/o using that repeated image from one of the buildings, it looks fairly out of place, and yer fonts don't look all together that good.

I kinda like yer status indicator on each link with the letter out of place.

My suggestion, take your navigation and at the very least put it below yer name/logo on the left, and then get rid of that random thrown in building at the bottom right.

I'd start playin with that, and possibly find some more fonts to play with for both the logo and links.

http://www.dafont.com

OP
T

TylerMoney

Thanks for the suggestions/comments

The reason the rest of the pages don't have the same image as the home page is because there will eventually be type/information and other images; the dark image wouldn't really work.

As for the links/navigation, I felt that was making a statement. It isnt' necessarily supose to look in place...or entirely out of place. But I will look into your suggestions.

With the fonts...I wanted them to be fairly sleek, clean, straight, and easy on the eye. I can see where you're coming from though, and intend to look deeper into the realm of fonts (as I had planned on doing originally, when I got to putting the finishing touches on the site). For now though, I think they work....

the building at the bottom right....I don't know, I still feel that works with the rest of the design. It does require some changes so as it's not just the building sitting in the bottom right corner, and becomes an active working part of the site. The building everything is based on has such a strong design, and I love it (if you ever go to chicago, check em out, there's actually two of them). Now if you don't like the building all that much to begin with, then you're going to get quite annoyed with how strongly I've built the idea of it into my design (making my links a direct part of the building. I feel that those have to be there to make the design compete).
...at the same time, art causes many reactions, negative and positive..and really this is more art than a webpage, or rather is art made to work as a webpage. None of this is saying, however, that your points are hitting on something; meaning I will have to think about what statement I am really making, or what reactions I am willing to recieve, etc etc.

thanks agian for all the suggestions/comments. It gives me some definent things to think about before having my finished "product." On initial designs, you can't always see everything, and it's always better to get others opinions. So I think I've gotten a good bit on how people will react (this pertains to everyones comments).

also, feel free to keep them coming, and/or to add on to what's already been said. I haven't worked on the site in a couple of weeks (shame on me)..and will be finishing up soon for a grade....meaning, the more comments the better. Adios, and thanks again.

OP
R

RobDreugan

Just a bit of advice.

I can appreciate that you think what you've done is more art than a website.

Next time you want opinions though, which is really what you wanted, not so much a critique/advice/feedback/suggestions, finish your work and say what it is.

I'd rather not waste the effort to think what would make it a better webpage had it been just said, "hey, this is a piece of art."

Also, I don't think its necessary to be defensive with what you're working on, by giving me the definition of art critiques. It's pretty much understood that people who look at the same piece of art, assuming they know it is, that they will see it in different ways, both good and bad.

Just from the comments you wrote back, I really don't even see why you posted that you wanted any feedback or suggestions, because you appear to be fine with it.

It's kinda like me posting a picture I fingerpainted and saying, "hey everyone take a look at this, and tell me what you think, but oh ya, I love the way it looks and really have no interest in what everyone else is saying. ok? thanks, appreciate it."

:D

OP
T

TylerMoney

RobDreugan said:
Just a bit of advice.

I can appreciate that you think what you've done is more art than a website.

Next time you want opinions though, which is really what you wanted, not so much a critique/advice/feedback/suggestions, finish your work and say what it is.

I'd rather not waste the effort to think what would make it a better webpage had it been just said, "hey, this is a piece of art."

Also, I don't think its necessary to be defensive with what you're working on, by giving me the definition of art critiques. It's pretty much understood that people who look at the same piece of art, assuming they know it is, that they will see it in different ways, both good and bad.

:D

Well, I definenlty didn't mean to come off that way. I meant in no way to down grade your comments, or be defensive. I was just trying to state where I was coming from when making the site. And it was 3am, so myself wasn't completely myself in replying.

And yes, I was pretty fine with the design, but that doesn't mean other people are..which is why I wanted comments/suggestions on what other people thought. That is important to me, and I need that information from whosoever is willing to give it.

So RobDreugan, I am sorry I came out this way; it was not my intention, but I think I still state in my first reply that your comments didn't go to waste, and I am thinking about all of them...it's just the other parts kind of overshadowed that I guess?

And for me to say it's more of a pice of art....I guess that was a fairly defensive statement...in reality, all websites are art in one way or another...so yeah, I guess it is art..but it's got to work in the medium it's in...so a website has to work like a good website, etc... So I just wanted to make sure we understand each other now, and there are no hard feelings, and that I am sorry for coming off in such a negative way towards you before. Thanks once more for all your comments/suggestions, and I hope in the future (for I will have more stuff I want critiqued), we can do it without this step (for I didn't want this to go down like it did) :)

OP
R

RobDreugan

It's all good. I didn't think you were being mean or anything, but like I said it was just more of, if you want advice or suggestions I'm more than happy to give it.

Believe me there's plenty of times where I'm workin on something, and I'm thinking to myself how badass it is, then someone looks at it and they were like, "hey you smoking the buddah?" And evidentally I was.

No hard feelings, just sayin.

btw, what degree are u in, at the Art Institute? The obvious answer is prolly multimedia/web design, but I'm in DMP. (digital media production)

OP
T

TylerMoney

I'm actually in Graphic Design there. They just have us take at least one web class to prepare us for working for actual webdesigners.

But I like web design, and think I could definently get into..with more practice of course.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, hello again guys.

I "finished" my website today. I didn't really change much format wise. My content is in, and the site is working nice.

It will be changing eventually though...when i have time to work on it again. But for now, this is what I've got: tp://stu.aii.edu/~tgg151 (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Not bad at all! I like it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
nice pretty slick!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.