AT&T vs Verizon Wireless

Reaction score
I posted the below in another post, but wanted to share it here.

Everyone is griping about the iphone only being available on the AT& wireless network.

Why you ask, read below and get informed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Apple went to Verizon Wireless first to support the iphone.

if you Google search you will find this info.

Apple and Verizon wireless had been working together for better part of a year, then Verizon Wireless told Steve Jobs to shove the iphone up his I LOVE SPARKLY DOLLIES. The demands Apple wanted were not flexible and gave Apple WAY (and I mean WAY) too much control over the device.

The Only other wireless carrier able to distribute and support the iphone was AT&T.

T-mobile, Sprint and Alltells networks are NOT nearly as good as either AT&T or Verizon. They never will be.
You dont push a high end neato gadget with the # 3 or # 4 carrier in the wireless market, Its NOT good business sense.

one of the problems AT&T had with apple was AT&T wanted to lower the price of the iphone to better appeal to the consumer as well as more attractive rate plans. Apple demanded the pricing be set to where they are today and would not budge. AT&T bowed down to Apple.

So you can thank Steve Jobs, NOT AT&T, for the cost and ALL the short falls of your over priced gadget.

yes a 3g version will be out just in time for Christmas.... suckers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
please go away and don't come back unless you can give some real, legitimate sources for all this amazing knowledge you have so kindly dropped on us. 3G by christmas, I'll give you 10:1 odds that it won't happen.

mi6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram
LOL..
Whats point talking about this non sense when phone is out.....
Please go buy an iphone......
thats if you can buy one...

mi6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
What he has to say about Verizon not having the iphone is true, and to be honest, i wouldnt be surprised if a new updated iphone will be released in a few months. This is apple after all (ex:ipod)

OP
jab119
Reaction score
lol... working at verizon selling phones....
thats amazing...

No, if I was a sales person I would be filling your head full lies to sell you more iphones.

I am in Engineering. I used to be directly involved with making the stuff work. Now, I make sure it stays working.

OP
jab119
Reaction score
please go away and don't come back unless you can give some real, legitimate sources for all this amazing knowledge you have so kindly dropped on us. 3G by christmas, I'll give you 10:1 odds that it won't happen.

if the mods have not kicked me off the forums by then, I will send you $20 if it does Not come out by Christmas.

Now if it does come out, you gonna send me $20

then again it could all just be a rumor, or just the way Apple does things.... ya never know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Steve Jobs to shove the iphone up his ***

Thanks for the articles, but I didn't find this quote in any of them! Also, didn't see any claims of the phone coming out in Christmas. I like how you semi-retracted your own statement about the update by Christmas by saying it may be a rumor. Gee, ya think?? At first you came off like you have first-hand irrefutable knowldge. Either way, I'll take your bet!

You're probably right about one thing, Steve probably is to blame for lack of any discount on the phone with contract. It sounds like instead of AT&T subsidizing a discount with part of the monthly contract profits, they're sending that part of the profits to Apple. AT&T still makes their money, Apple takes our piece intended for a phone discount, and we get screwed by their greediness! (well, not me, I didn't buy one!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Thanks but no thanks. If verizon sold the iPhone, it wouldn't be able to do half the crap it does now.

OP
jab119
Reaction score

Thanks for the articles, but I didn't find this quote in any of them! Also, didn't see any claims of the phone coming out in Christmas. I like how you semi-retracted your own statement about the update by Christmas by saying it may be a rumor. Gee, ya think?? At first you came off like you have first-hand irrefutable knowldge. Either way, I'll take your bet!

You're probably right about one thing, Steve probably is to blame for lack of any discount on the phone with contract. It sounds like instead of AT&T subsidizing a discount with part of the monthly contract profits, they're sending that part of the profits to Apple. AT&T still makes their money, Apple takes our piece intended for a phone discount, and we get screwed by their greediness! (well, not me, I didn't buy one!)

I made the part about the phone up the you know what, but basically Verizon told Apple No, we don't need your product.

the 3g version availability has not hit the press yet. But since Apple is working with Vodafone in Europe to offer the iphone over there it will be 3g at release. Vodafone is not to thrilled with Apple either.

apple is getting all the profits form the iphone, and a small percentage of the monthly service plan. Im not sure about what percent. So AT&T is really not making money on this deal. whic is another reason Verizon backed out of the deal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple gets the profit on the phone and some of the monthly fee profit (probably the amount usually put towards phone discounts), AT&T gets the rest of the profit from the monthly fee and the increase in customers.

I've read a few articles on the Apple/Vodafone deal and soo far it's all strictly rumor. Nothing official has been said by either side about negotiations. I'm sure that when Apple does sell the an international company, it will be 3G, but that doesn't mean a 3G phone will be sold here. People will probably descend on One Infinite Loop with pitchforks and torches though.

Jobs claims the reason for no 3G is space constraints and battery drain. Cingular had the 8125 on EDGE which got upgraded to the 8525 without changing the unit dimensions and no appreciable battery loss with the same battery used. I think Jobs reasons for no 3G are pure hot air. If/when the 3G Euro model comes out, that will be prove or disprove his claims. He said he didn't allow direct iTunes download on the iPhone because it's not a good way to experience new content, or some garbage like that, but he's already alluded to making that option available in the future.

Steve has always been the good guy on the side of the consumer, supposedly, while M$ is the money-hungry jerks screwing people over. I wonder these days, especially after the EA Games thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
please go away and don't come back unless you can give some real, legitimate sources for all this amazing knowledge you have so kindly dropped on us.

Nope I wont go away. Im in the wireless industry (13 years) so i possibly know just a smidge more about the iphone than you do.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-01-28-verizon-iphone_x.htm

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/01/29/iphone.rejected.by.verizon/

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/29/verizon-rejected-iphone-deal-due-to-apples-terms/

i did a little searching for you

OWN3D!!!

pfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Verizon loves to cripple phone capability... It is no wonder they didn't see eye-to-eye with Apple.

Wireless tethering, file transfer capability, etc. have been available for quite a while on V network phones. Verizon turns them off so they can sell more... wait for it.... RINGTONES.

Talk about a head-in-the-sand (or worse) business model.

It took somebody with the vision and stubborness of S.J. to finally break through the backwards mindsets of the wireless carriers.

PS: I've been a verizon customer for years. As of this week, I am a iPhone loving AT&T customer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Enjoy AT&T. After a two year contract and the worst customer service and billing problems I'd ever experience, I have to say there is no way that I would ever do business with that company again. Ever. If it means I'll never be able to get an iPhone, then so be it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only the stubbornness of Steve Jobs did was help get Steve Jobs paid! It'd be nice if he used to that power to help out his loyal customer base.

That's not owning. If I said it was all a pack of lies, then that would be owning. I told him he should back of his statements with some proof and he did, kind of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
How about everyone in this thread dial back the rhetoric a bit and start acting like mature forum members.

I'm allowing this thread to remain open for now...but if you all can't be more respectful towards each other and stop heading towards a flame war, it will be closed.

pfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Verizon's customer service is no prize package either...

My guess is that AT&T is starting to "get it".

Reaction score
As a moderator on another forum I thank you for the warning and also allowing the thread to cool down before closing the topic. Now for us True
mac users, I have said for years I am a happy apple cult follower. and I truly look at Mac users as such we are loyal to the product because as of the recent years apple has reacted and filled most of our requests. But step back and have a open mind. Apple is a business and business is dirty. Wether or not it is true or not respect each other before anything else.
I thank the Poster I take it to be true and being a former VZ costumer which I was looking to go back to before the Iphone was said to go on AT&T network. VZ Is controling over the phones that are on there network compared to other companies. In the the NYC Area VZ is far better then AT&T but I hope that in time with the influx of new costumers they will
react and fix the areas where there network is lacking.
As for G3 in Dec LOL Now When has apple not released a updated product with in 6 months to a year of its 1st release. just look at the OS alone. my question is
will AT&T be up and running a strong g3 network.
Take a look at the coverage for G3 Network national map you
dont even see coverage which is shown in Blue I looked up NYC Area and it is lacking for anyone who lives in brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx, Long Island, Rockland Etc. With in the NY Area thats millions of costumers with some very $$$ areas left out. I dont blame Apple Rather At&t So the phone comes out in Dec but will AT&T have there act together by then?

NT_Streets_Cingular_US_n10021aps0002.wdc1.attens.com8829416078.png

Cing_NatlCov.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but the small 3G coverage area is no reason to leave it off the device. AT&T is successfully selling many 3G phones and it's not as thought they'll ONLY work in 3G areas. People in EDGE areas can still use it. I don't put this decision on AT&T considering Apple's demand for strict control over the device itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.