how to mount a powerbook g3 harddrive in a g4 powermac

R

RBWare83

I have a powerbook g3 that is shot and I would like to mount the hard drive in my g4 and get the data off of it. The problem I am getting is that when it is hooked up, my g4 will not boot and when I hold down the option key to see if there is a system folder available to boot from nothing shows up. Any clue of what I am not doing to get this to work.

Thanks,

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If the g3 have a firewire port. Then turn on the g3, and press and hold the t key. If everything is working right, you should see the firewire logo on your screen. Connect it to the g4 and power up the g4. Once the g4 is up and running you should see the disk is mounted your desktop. Hopefully your g3 is able to get into target mode.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I don't think firewire target disk mode came until the iMac CRT.

OP
R

RBWare83

well the g3 is completely dead, will not boot will not do anything, that is why i have taken the hard drive out and with the use of the converter, i would think i would be able to put it in my g4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.