Upgrading to Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz 2gb DDR2 8600gt w/ 128mb vram
How much (ballpark) will it cost to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard when it finally comes out?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How much (ballpark) will it cost to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard when it finally comes out?

$129 according to Steve Jobs at the WWDC 07 conference.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz 2gb DDR2 8600gt w/ 128mb vram
ahh thats a little steep, but i did spend 2k on a macbook pro so that really isn't that bad in the broad spectrum of things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
i myself may wait a month or two to see the results of the leopard system, although I do love the added features and WILL definitely upgrade.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh thats a little steep, but i did spend 2k on a macbook pro so that really isn't that bad in the broad spectrum of things

Compared to what exactly? Linux? It certainly isn't steep compared to Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I see they have changed the Leopard page on the webiste since I was there last.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
79$ if your a student, yippee!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
is leopard going to be available for PPC macs??? Or is Tiger the max for us PPC lovers.

I heard that the Intel macs run slower than the PPC ones....

Is that true???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
depends on the specs I would assume!
but ive seen a video on youtube where an intel iMac takes 14 seconds to start up and a g5 iMac takes 1:04

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
depends on the specs I would assume!
but ive seen a video on youtube where an intel iMac takes 14 seconds to start up and a g5 iMac takes 1:04

It could be because the Intel mac has mor RAM.

Reaction score

That is quite likely and it probably also has a faster processor. I have had both a Power Mac G5 and a Mac Pro Intel. They both run quite well. The G5 had a 2.0 processor with 2 gig of ram and the Intel has a 2.66 processor with 4 gig of ram... Which would you expect to run faster?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's a tough comparison to make - especially during bootup, when there are a lot of factors that can impact how long it takes.

The PPC-series of CPUs is inherently superior to the x86 architecture. It's 100% RISC, runs cooler and is more efficient overall. Frankly, if it weren't for the Wintel empire, all of our machines would probably be running PPC CPUs today. But I digress...

Even still, so much more development has gone into the Intel architecture that it has evolved several times faster than the PPC series. The Intel chips tend to run at higher clock rates and have multiple cores. I would find it hard to believe (aside from the G5 Mac Pro) that any of the PPC Macs are faster than the Intel replacements running native applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
The first few sets of intel chips in apple computers (macbooks, imacs, mini etc.) I believe are 32-bit processors. All recent PPC processors are 64 bit. This means that technically, if you were running 64-bit app on Leopard with two computers with identical hardware except for the processor, then the PPC architecture would suited for better performance.

Now, whether or not the PPC is so far behind in evolution that it cannot keep up with the first wave of intel chips even though they are only 32-bit remains to be seen. My assumption is that the later model G4's (1.5+) on the powerbooks and the G5's will run most 64-bit apps faster than the first set of Intel processors dual cores in the Macbooks and Mac Minis since they are 32-bit.

Anyone can correct me if I have stated incorrect information here. Keep in mind that most of my post is speculation based only on 64-bit PPC vs. 32-bit Intel Dual Core.

The PPC-series of CPUs is inherently superior to the x86 architecture.

I love that quote.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first few sets of intel chips in apple computers (macbooks, imacs, mini etc.) I believe are 32-bit processors. All recent PPC processors are 64 bit. This means that technically, if you were running 64-bit app on Leopard with two computers with identical hardware except for the processor, then the PPC architecture would suited for better performance.

Now, whether or not the PPC is so far behind in evolution that it cannot keep up with the first wave of intel chips even though they are only 32-bit remains to be seen. My assumption is that the later model G4's (1.5+) on the powerbooks and the G5's will run most 64-bit apps faster than the first set of Intel processors dual cores in the Macbooks and Mac Minis since they are 32-bit.

Anyone can correct me if I have stated incorrect information here. Keep in mind that most of my post is speculation based only on 64-bit PPC vs. 32-bit Intel Dual Core.

I love that quote.

It depends on how the applications are optimized. If they're optimized for 64-bit, then yes, an application running in 64-bit on a PPC machine could theoretically be faster than that same application, running on a 32-bit Intel machine. But when you start to talk about applications that are multi-threaded (can take advantage of multiprocessors) and you make that comparison, it doesn't hold any water unless you're talking about a dual G5 system.

All things considered, it's a difficult comparison to make with so many variables - and of course, when we start to talk about C2D systems, it's pretty much irrelevant. What's really interesting is that the CD processor really is a 64-bit chip, it's just that the 64-bit extensions are disabled.

Oh, and that quote isn't a statement of opinion - being a 100% RISC, clean sheet design, the PPC platform is inherently superior. Had it had the benefit of the development focus expended on it that the x86 platform did, it would probably be miles ahead of x86 at this point in time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
I am going to upgrade to it after it is out a couple months. I wanna see the results and how others like it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.