Accessing iTunes music on my PC

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I've got 200 GB of music on a PC that I want to access with my MBP using iTunes. I'm trying to follow directions for sharing music that's in iTunes on my PC that are listed at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299&highlight=itunes+library+file+alias, but I have a few questions.

First, it says to "Create an Alias of the iTunes Library file and iTunes Music Library.xml file (Usually located in My Documents/My Music/iTunes)" How exactly do I do this? What keystrokes?

Second, it says, "On your Mac delete the iTunes Music Library.xml file and iTunes Library file and replace them with the aliases that you just created." What exactly is the path for the iTunes Library file, and how exactly do I replace the file with the alias?

Finally, in my iTunes preferences, should I uncheck the boxes that say "keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library"? What are the consequences of having then check versus unchecked?

Thanks much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.