Poker on The Mac ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Just got my MBP yesterday and very new to Mac. The only small quibble I have so far - and this is not Mac specific - but why when you buy a new config machine do they not install all the latest updates to the OS at the factory? It took quite a while for them all to download.

Have to say I'm loving it. Even though I keep trying to right click.

My main queary is to ask about online poker. I have a Full Tilt account and the Mac version of that works fine. But I will at some point have to play on Pokerstars and ipoker skins. So what's the best route to take? Boot Camp? or Parallels? My prefference would be Parallels easy switching but this may be too slow. So does anyone have suggestions or experience of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.33GHz
Can't help you with the poker question, but to get a right click on your MBP, go to System Preferences in the dock, click on "Keyboard and mouse" select trackpad menu and under "Trackpad gestures" select "Place two fingers on trackpad..." which then becomes your right-click. I also love the two finger scroll, I use it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
I use Parallels solely for Pokestars, and I think that's probably your best bet too. I used to have 1GB RAM (which i think is standard now) and you should have no problem switching back and forth while running a few programs on the osx side. Seeing as you have a Macbook Pro, this shouldn't be an issue.

I used to run XP at about 256MB RAM inside a window, and didn't have any slow downs while chatting on Adium and listening to iTunes at the same time. It's not like Pokerstar requires a lot of memory anyways.

Bootcamp would be free, but I don't think anyone likes the idea of restarting the computer just to play poker, and then restarting to get back.

Hope that helps.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Think I'll download the trial version of Parallels then. Thanks for the replies both. Very useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The new version of Parallels supports 3d, but even then it shouldn't have been a problem as most online poker clients I've seen are 2d. It should work fine. With the old version some one that was using it said that Vista wouldn't run very well unless the MBP had 3gb of ram, but that was before 3d support, so either way, vista or XP should be fine. You will need a full version of either of these though, as they don't come with parallels...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.