iphone gripes-disappointments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Ok, my partner and I both got new iPhone 8GB models tonight. No waiting here in Arkansas. I do love it, but so far I have found a couple decent things to gripe about. First is not being able to synch the stupid thing with bluetooth or wifi. I plan to keep my charger in my dressing room where I always keep my phone charger. The iMac is in the living room, so every time I want to sync this thing, I'll have to go get the cable, unhook it, reconnect it, and such - already have some USB stuff attached that have to be unhooked, etc. If I can sync my freaking HP iPaq, my old Motorola Razr, and even my old PalmPilot to my iMac, I would think I could surely do the same with an actual brand new Apple made product. But apparently you can't. That sucks. #2 is that it will not sync with Entourage Email. I do not use Apple Mail, I use Entourage, and I have several POP and Exchange accounts. So...I had to go into stupid Apple Mail and setup all my accounts although I will never use them in that application just to be able to use them on the iPhone. If it can synch everything else in entourage (calendar, contacts, etc) why didn't they make it able to also get my email info? I also dislike that it doesnt have removeable memory card for when I want to take my pictures into Walmart for prints. Other than those things, so far I really like it. Anyone else have any gripes or complaints?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
Other than those things, so far I really like it. Anyone else have any gripes or complaints?

AT&T delay on activation! Probably won't activate at all tonight, since they're resetting their servers right now (if I had to guess).

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ours gave us errors during the activation process, but still activated the phones even through it errored out. We already had Cingular/ATT accounts for over 10 years so all we had to do was run thru the iTunes screens, but they still hung up forever and finally gave errors. But when we hit the buttons on the phones, they said they were activated and worked fine. I guess if you are having to do a complete enrollment and activation though it wouldnt work if some part hangs up.

Reaction score
Just the usual gripe about the choice to go exclusively with Cingular. Anyone know what they were thinking? All I can imagine is that they got something sweet out of the deal. I seems like it would have made more sense for it to be usable by several different providers.

Reaction score
i bet u 2 things:

i) There is nothing in the T&C's to get back at Apple if someone releases info on how to unlock an iPhone from AT&T.
ii) Someone in Cupertino already has this info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
Ours gave us errors during the activation process, but still activated the phones even through it errored out. We already had Cingular/ATT accounts for over 10 years so all we had to do was run thru the iTunes screens, but they still hung up forever and finally gave errors. But when we hit the buttons on the phones, they said they were activated and worked fine. I guess if you are having to do a complete enrollment and activation though it wouldnt work if some part hangs up.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I've been a loyal customer for 5+ years now, and I'm still waiting on this thing to activate. AT&T phone support doesn't open until 9, so at this point, I'm waiting on that. Ugh, this is upsetting!

Reaction score
I'm an existing Cingular/AT&T customer and did not have any problems at all. Phone was activated in less than 5 minutes.. But then again, I didn't get to activate my phone until after the party I went to. Activated my phone thru iTunes around 3am PDT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
rcltrh, Apple has advertised that the iPhone will be able to sync not only with Entourage, but also Outlook on PC's (from what I've read in the major tech blogs), so there must be a way. Give Apple a call to find out how to do it.

I'm also surprised you can't sync via Bluetooth. Maybe it has something to do with keeping people from tethering their laptops to them, but that's no excuse. It should be possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried one in the store and loaded up my favorite forum :) to just try it out. Even though it was connected through the WiFi, it seemed kind of slow to load pages. On my home computer, it only takes a second, but on the iPhone it took up to 5 seconds to load a simple page of text! Also, when zoomed in and scrolling around, it would show a checker pattern and take a few seconds to bring up what I scrolled to.

Not huge and I'm sure not due to the connection, but the internal processor must take longer to compile the information and display it.

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rcltrh, Apple has advertised that the iPhone will be able to sync not only with Entourage, but also Outlook on PC's (from what I've read in the major tech blogs), so there must be a way. Give Apple a call to find out how to do it.

I'm also surprised you can't sync via Bluetooth. Maybe it has something to do with keeping people from tethering their laptops to them, but that's no excuse. It should be possible.

It does sync with the calendar and contacts portions of these programs, just not the email and email account info side. I did a lot of searching and even in apple's own forums they say it will only sync with Apple Mail.app for the email info. What I haven't found out yet is if I am at work or out of the house, check my email with the iPhone, have some messages and stuff in there, then go back home and sync the phone, does it dump those messages into mail.app, not do anything with them at all and just let me get them again in entourage (that's what I hope it does), or something else. My HP iPaq running Windows Mobile/Outlook will just download my messages so I can read or respond, but leaves them on the server unless I specifically tell it to delete from server so that once I log in on my Mac I still get all my emails in entourage, even ones that I already saw. I also had my Razr setup to do the same. I'll play with it today and see how it works with that regard.

As for the sync with bluetooth or wifi I think that is inexcusable in today's technology world. Especially given that I have been able to do it with my old iPaq since 2004, and especially since I have a bluetooth/wifi iMac, ditto powerbook, along with the iPhone, and even an Apple Airport Extreme Wifi router. From what it appears, the cable is the same as an iPod cable so I'm going to attempt later on to see if that is the case. If so I will just leave my iPod cable attached to the iMac and use it for both. Still inexcusable though at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I just tried one in the store and loaded up my favorite forum :) to just try it out. Even though it was connected through the WiFi, it seemed kind of slow to load pages. On my home computer, it only takes a second, but on the iPhone it took up to 5 seconds to load a simple page of text! Also, when zoomed in and scrolling around, it would show a checker pattern and take a few seconds to bring up what I scrolled to.

Not huge and I'm sure not due to the connection, but the internal processor must take longer to compile the information and display it.

i think that is due to a mobile device trying to run a full web browser. not sure how slow or fast it will be with EDGE speeds and rendering, but i assume it will be pretty dismal.

Reaction score
I just picked one of these up last night, and I freaking love it. I used it for like 6 hours straight yesterday, just going on websites, texting, etc. Last night I did not have a life, haha.

Sure, EDGE is slower (compared to WiFi), but I had a 3G phone before and didn't notice much difference. Even so, the browsing is a lot more elegant than any of the phones out there.

The screen does get smudges, but that cloth makes it really easy to clean at the end of the day.

My only REAL gripe is that is does not have iChat, AIM, or some form of AOL Instant Messenger on it. I will be really stoked if they come out with an update to put iChat on it. But for me, this is the only problem I find.

Peace!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But the web versions of aim should work right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe you would like this iPhone instead, gotta love China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_8wuVEYMZ8

Wow, removable battery and memory expansion! Those Chinese think of everything!!

But the web versions of aim should work right?

The guys over at Howardforums found that you can log on to IM services via Meebo, but you can't send messages because there's no send button or way to hit a button to tell the site to send your message. If you can find a key combination that will send your message on Meebo, you IM problem will be solved.

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, yet another gripe. You'd think I would have checked these things out before I spent $1300 for 2 of them :) You can't freaking use your music or any MP3 for that matter as a ringtone. You are stuck with the 20 or so that Apple gave you and can't even download ringtones. What a crock. As far as the phone side of it goes, I think we bought the equivalent of startacs with colorful touch screens. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! Ok, back to playing with this thing. I think I really like everything but the phone side of it. Oh wait, it is an iPhone - with phone being the primary use! Went back to the ATT store and they said they "heard" that Apple was going to issue a firmware release soon to address the ringtone thing as well as some other enhancements. I can only hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
My only gripe:

why can I not delete a calendar event from the phone! aggghh! maybe im missing it.

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why can I not delete a calendar event from the phone! aggghh! maybe im missing it.

Hmm mine works just fine. Pick the day the event is on, down at the bottom you will see the event. tap it. tap edit. scroll down, there is a big ole red delete event button. Doesn't work for holidays and birthdays syncing from ical or entourage though, but will for events you add.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
good call rcltrh, I was trying to delete and event that was previously synced from google calendar. It doesnt have an edit button but all others do. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.