Must Have Accessories for 17 in mbp

Reaction score
I just bought a 17in macbook pro. Along with it I purchased the incase black neoprene sleeve.

I was wondering if there were any other MUST HAVE accessories for my new laptop?

What about those pieces of cloth you put on your keyboard when you close the lid? Are they even necessary? Would they be harmful (dust etc that clings to it falling into my keyboard)?

I also need a new backpack or carry case as the laptop barely fits in my current targus backpack.

What MUST HAVE stuff should I conside?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There are no "Must Have" accessories or any blanket list of things to get.

Whatever optional items you choose boil down to personal preference.
What do you plan on doing with your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
as for the back pack i just bought this one. it is a very good case and the 17 inch fits in it perfectly. a little pricey but well worth it.

OP
A
Reaction score
I already have the incase sleeve for it so I'd need something that fits that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
one accessory i would recommend would be the wireless mighty mouse. i sometimes cant stand using the trackpad after a while so i just use the mouse. it was a great purchase for me.

Reaction score
as for the back pack i just bought this one. it is a very good case and the 17 inch fits in it perfectly. a little pricey but well worth it.

Count this as a 2nd vote for the Incase RipStop backpack. I bought one back in February and took it with me on my trip to Japan in March. It stood up incredibly well. The laptop pocket is lined with a nice material that I guarantee will never scratch your MBP. There is a hidden pocket for your passport (or cash) pockets everywhere. IMO the best laptop backpack out there.

Oh, and it is offered in Black too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
For you two that bought the RipStop: would you recommend it to a student thats looking to carry a laptop and a book or two? Or would that leave a lot of empty room in the backpack? I'm trying to decide between this and the Buzz by Tom Bihn. The RipStop is cheaper so I'm leaning towards it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
im will be going into my freshman year in college and i went to best buy to see if it would fit a couple books and it will. that was one of my major concerns if there is room for books. and there is. its a great backpack. you just cant have all of the books since there won't be enough room obviously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Thanks kkelly122. I'm an incoming freshman also. haha I'm only enrolling in four classes my first semester and only have two classes a day so this should do fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
hey, sgt Beavis- I checked that link and it doesnt show the ripstop coming in black- whats up with that?

ALSO- what about those pieces of cloth you put on your keyboard when you close the lid? Are they even necessary? Would they be harmful (dust etc that clings to it falling into my keyboard)? Is the keyboard at all harmful to the screen when you close the lid after using it for a while?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I just got an STM convertible bag for my MBP. I found that backpacks, like those made by Targus are just too clunky. This one can be used as a backpack or you can take the strap off and use it carrier style. It has some room for books but not a lot. This model only comes in black.

OP
A
Reaction score
Does anyone know about those pieces of cloth you put on your keyboard when you close the lid? Are they even necessary?

Would they be harmful (dust etc that clings to it falling into my keyboard)? Is the keyboard at all harmful to the screen when you close the lid after using it for a while?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
they aren't necessary. they just want you to buy a "special cloth" to protect your keyboard and screen. when the lid is shut not much stuff is getting in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
The only damage to the screen i've seen has been on a glossy screen, my keyboard has never left any marks on my matte screen but I have seen keyboard marks on glossy screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
External HD is a must. You never know what might happen to your notebook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.