the Cube!!!!.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
does any one know the CUBE???

and will it ever return...... :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
The Cube, as in G4 Cube?

E

.emo.

.the cube came out in june 2000 an was discontinued in july 2001.apple had high expectations for the selling of it but the general mac buyer was not interested.i bought one and had nothing but problems with it.but its a great collecters item i wish i kept it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hmm.. nothing but problems... those problems only existed on the first reversion. I have the second revision, had absolutely no problems with it, apart from the occasional over heating. Mainly due to the additional heat given off by the additional processor. But then again I did made a couple of mods to it. It was never produced as a dual processing system. At the time, it was one of a kind. Wow.... that's a long time ago. June 2000!

Still works, recently boosted the Ram to a Maximum of 1.5Gb, replace the hard drive... they always die for some reason.

*drops it*

Ooops! :D

C

Chamorro

NightCrawler said:
does any one know the CUBE???

and will it ever return...... :confused:

I have a G4 Cube....works perfectly. Will it ever return? No. At least not looking like it did. Ventilation would need to be better to run a G5, and the chassis would have to be enlarged. Also, Apple's moved away from the Acrylic look.

It would be nice to see another headless consumer Mac, but it would need to be priced accordingly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Can you post some screen shots or pics? I am looking for classic Macs and it's hard to find!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
witeshark said:
Can you post some screen shots or pics? I am looking for classic Macs and it's hard to find!

Here is a pic I borrowed from http://www.cubeowner.com (a great cube resource):

PICT0115_resize1.jpg

As you can see - it's a cube. ;)

C

Chamorro

There are also "updated" cases from aluminum or acrylic that are bigger and increase airflow. Don't quite look as nice as the original, but still cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That is a thing of total beauty! Rules! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Here guys... Check this out.

You know about Dual processing machines right? Of course you Do... Well, you can actually Dual processor a Cube too! Yes, It's been done many times before! But it can a be a major task specially if your gonna dual it with Dual 1Ghz G4 Processors.

Dual G4 450 Cube Modifications

This is the link (from xlr8), to dual a Stock Cube with 450Mhz G4.

Sonnet did a modulate to upgrade other powermacs to full Powerlogix/Sonnet Dual 1Ghz status.

Overheating!

Option A

But due to the tiny enclosure of the cube it proved to be very unstable causing many problems related to over heating and inadequate airflow. This problems can be solved though. Here's how!

" One thing that the dual g4 cube owner may want to consider is installing an 80mm fan in the bottom of the cube case (there are mounts and space for an 80mm IIRC). A 19.5 CFM @ 15 dBa 80mm is $20 from Plycon.com. Since the heatsink setup is optimized for passive cooling, I believe that forcing air over it should only improve it's cooling ability. (also the air coming out of the vent should keep papers from resting on it).

Just a possible future upgrade, to lengthen the life of a really awesome cube.
-Chris"

Option B

You need to manufacture, or create a custom heat-sink and include one of those babies: Noiseless Super-coolers

On the power-board of the Cube there is already a 12 Volts power source, initially for a internal fan (if you look carefully, you can see mountings for this part) but Apple never installed it, maybe they wanted to create a acoustically sound system.

Newer 1.25Ghz Modules seems not to work, mainly due to speed different in the data bus... but one can try.

Have fun...

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
The Cube is so freaking cool. I've always wanted one.

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
i think you can buy them on eBay.com *drools*

C

Chamorro

NightCrawler said:
i think you can buy them on eBay.com *drools*

Yes, they pop up fairly regularly. Be prepared to pay more than expected for a 4-year-old comp. w/ similar specs.

C

CypherStrength

Chamorro said:
Yes, they pop up fairly regularly. Be prepared to pay more than expected for a 4-year-old comp. w/ similar specs.

I have a G4 450 Cube and I love it. Im getting ready to order the PowerLogix 1.4Ghz upgrade and the G5 Style cube case and a couple of fans. It runs OS 10.3.4

CypherStrength

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you get all that stuff... post some pic's!!! will ya?

C

Chamorro

CypherStrength said:
I have a G4 450 Cube and I love it. Im getting ready to order the PowerLogix 1.4Ghz upgrade and the G5 Style cube case and a couple of fans. It runs OS 10.3.4

CypherStrength

Where are you finding the 1.4 upgrade? Last I read, PL was just doing 1.35's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.