plug on plug off

Q

quackbook

hey,

when i have my macbook plugged in, the internet works super fast. then when i go portable, he internet works sooo slow and often don't even load the pages. this is on the wireless network, sitting in the same place. this happens on both safari 3 beta and firefox 2. what is wrong here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
My internet works same with or without the ac adapter plugged in. My airport (wireless) connection is the same strength.

OP
Q

quackbook

it remains the same signal strength

but it certainly does not act that way

please help

Reaction score
Are you referring to having he power cord plugged in vs on battery, or when using an ethernet cable vs wifi?

OP
Q

quackbook

i am talking about when the power cord is or isn't plugged in. I am always on wifi. its extremely fast when i have the power plugged in. it slugs or doesn't even load pages on battery.

and i am talking about when i am sitting the same spot, same signal, same internet connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I think you might have a problem that would be best handled by taking it into an apple store, if possible. It was easy enough for me to test this with my own Macbook by unplugging, being on wifi, and it not being any different regardless of whether being plugged into power or not. I had the thought that one of the cores of your CPU would perhaps be disabled when you unplugged the power, but that wouldn't really cause a noticible network slowdown under normal circumstances.

Since this is something that you could probably reliably duplicate on, say an Apple store's wifi network that might be your best bet.

OP
Q

quackbook

i am 200 miles away from the apple store.

this problem started occuring on 6/24 when i got the recent os x 10.4.10 (intel) update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
You may want to give them a call. I presume your MacBook is still under warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.