Upgrade G4 powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2004 PowerBook G4
Powerbook g4 owner

I own a powerbook G4 right now.... It was the most amazing thing I had ever got my hands when it was new, but I just bought a new HP Laptop and it is doing circles around my poor G4. I would have to say even being new to mac .... you will like it but it does take a few months to get used to if you are a long time PC user. I would say it's more trouble than its worth right now to get the old one ...you spend too much moeny on software and hardware to get it to run the stuff you need. I can hardly browse the internet with mine without downloading some new update! If I had the choice I would say get the new macbook.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2004 PowerBook G4
Ok I'm new to this forum and I cant figure out how to post a question .....so maybe somebody reading this one can help me. As stated in my response to this guys question. I own a Powerbook G4 ..... the problem is that I cant view half of the sites on the internet these days it's so outdated. Will buying OS X Tiger solve my problem....what stuff would help upgrade it to run the programs etc.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2004 PowerBook G4
I have a Powerbook G4 that cant even open most internet websites. It has all the original software on it. Can I get Mac Os X Tiger? Will that update the whole operating system enough to run everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What is the speed of the G4 and how much RAM do you have? I have a 1Ghz G4 iBook that runs Tiger just fine with 768Mb of RAM.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2004 PowerBook G4
Um good question....dont know actually. I am at work so I dont have it with me to check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check when you can.

Tiger should run just fine on your machine and you can upgrade the whole Operating System.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2004 PowerBook G4
thanks

Ok cool, is there different versions of Tiger? I was looking on Ebay and someone mentioned something about a DVD version? Is there anything specific I should look for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tiger is sold as a DVD set (2 DVDs IIRC). Nothing special otherwise. The DVDs will install whatever 10.4.X version is on there, then once you get online the System Update will go out and find any newer updates that you need and will ask to install them. Let it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.