How do I degauss my screen?

N

Nightblade

Alright, so I've got a G3 iMac (the better kind, the one with the CD slot and the better speakers). Er, two of 'em, actually. Same specs, except one's able to read DVDs and the other is able to write to CDs. Anyway, there's a lot of static build-up on my screens, and I was wondering if there's anyway I can degauss the screens, like I can on most PC monitors (using the buttons on the front of the monitor).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Nightblade said:
Alright, so I've got a G3 iMac (the better kind, the one with the CD slot and the better speakers). Er, two of 'em, actually. Same specs, except one's able to read DVDs and the other is able to write to CDs. Anyway, there's a lot of static build-up on my screens, and I was wondering if there's anyway I can degauss the screens, like I can on most PC monitors (using the buttons on the front of the monitor).

There is no button or control for this on the iMac. From the information I've read, the iMac will automatically degauss when the machine is completely shut down and then turned on again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Not sure what static has to do with degaussing. A monitor needs to be degaussed when the exterior magnetic field surrounding the computer, has drastically changed, thus altering the image on the screen. Degaussing simply resets the ion gun at the rear of the CRT, straightening the magnetic field back out.

As for your question, the monitor automatically degausses each time it's turned on. All modern monitors do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.