Does MS remote desktop work for WinXP Home?

Reaction score
I have a desktop computer with WinXP home. MS has a remote desktop client for Mac, but I cant connect to my WinXP Home machine.

If WinXP Home is not supported, what is the next best solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I have a desktop computer with WinXP home. MS has a remote desktop client for Mac, but I cant connect to my WinXP Home machine.

If WinXP Home is not supported, what is the next best solution?

Real VNC for the Windows Machine. Install both Server and Viewer. then use Chicken of the VNC as your viewer on the Mac, and Apple Remote Desktop as the server.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
This is Mac Forums. If you really have to use windows stay with them and use theirs.

WHY RUN WINDOWS ON MAC WHEN IT'S DESIGNED FOR THE BEST OS THERE IS!

Reaction score
Yes, the Windows Remote Desktop for Mac DOES work to connect to WinXP.

It is just a terminal services connection on port 3389. You need to enable remote desktop from the "my computer" properties and make sure you have the rights to use remote desktop.

If it isn't working, try to telnet to port 3389 from your mac and see if you get connectivity. It could be that the Mac is blocking outbound traffic on 3389. Same goes for the Windows firewall.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Yes, the Windows Remote Desktop for Mac DOES work to connect to WinXP.

It is just a terminal services connection on port 3389. You need to enable remote desktop from the "my computer" properties and make sure you have the rights to use remote desktop.

If it isn't working, try to telnet to port 3389 from your mac and see if you get connectivity. It could be that the Mac is blocking outbound traffic on 3389. Same goes for the Windows firewall.

But does it work with WinXP Home edition, or just Pro?

When you say telnet to port 3389 to my Mac, what command do I use?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks, but thats the viewer thats already on WinXP Home and Pro. What it seems like Home lacks is the ability to accept remote connections.

That is what I had always heard and had never been able to remote connect to Home. I saw that URL and hoped I was wrong but posted it anyway. Oh well.

I saw that client for OSX and wanted to try it but my Home installs had no place to enable it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Why they don't just have one version of Windows is beyond me. Yet another reason why I love my Mac. It doesn't over complicate things for the average user but it can be used by the power users as and when.

Reaction score
I missed the part about XP HOME.

I can't remember if it has it or not.

Right click MY COMPUTER, Select Properties, and go to the REMOTE tab. If you have a dialog box for REMOTE DESKTOP then it should work. If its not there, then you'll want to go with VNC. Note that Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are not the same thing...

As for Telnet, you want to do that FROM the Mac. Open Terminal and type in the following

Telnet <ipaddress> 3389

Replace <ipaddress> with the IP of the windows box you are trying to connect to. Be sure there is a space between the IP address and the port number, 3389.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's the Remote Desktop server piece that is missing from XP Home. It does have the Terminal Services service, but it's pared down to just work for MS's Remote Assistance tool.

The client is still there, but you do need the 100% functional Terminal Services service to work correctly.

Your best, and least expensive option, is to go with VNC like was previously suggested.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
I tried RealVNC with Chicken of the VNC and its pretty slow. I am using this in a LAN, since my PC is in the other room. I've been using Logmein.com for the past couple of years, and its 5x faster than VNC. The downside to Logmein is you have to open a browser, type in your logmein user/pass, type in your windows user/pass, then click Open, then set to full screen. This is the reason I was looking for another solution.

Guess I will keep using Logmein.com :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Make sure you set all of the settings you can to optimize any VNC client, but if one doesn't work so well, try one of the others, there are several out there that are free. Also, try some other than Chicken of the VNC for OS X. Not sure how many there are, but bound to be more than one.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.