Is it just me or is iphoto the end of me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80 Gig HD with Superdrive....
Ok burnt jpgs onto cd brought them over from pc to mac. Loaded onto HD, threw them into iPhoto library and they are not seen by iphoto!?!?! They open up in preview but if I choose iPhoto it tells me they are not recongnized or damaged??? I have to be doing something wrong...Now cookie monster where are you??? Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
How did you get them into the iPhoto library? Did you use the "import" function within the app? Or did you just copy into the library in the finder? The first way is correct, the second way will cause you grief. Stay out of the library in the finder. Havoc will ensue. Do everyting from within the app itself.

If you "threw them into the iPhoto library" in the finder, delete what you have there and thenopen iPhoto, select "import" and import each folder from the CD individually. This will preserve the organization that you probably have on the CD. Then work with the photos from within the app.

If this does not answer your question, please post back with more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Just ditch iPhoto. I find it's garbage for my uses and I hate that I have to import photos into it for use with certain programs.

Reaction score
Drag them into the iPhoto window or using the Import function from the menu. NEVER access an apps library folder (like iTunes Music Library or iPhoto Library). Just don't. The apps manage the content and you can just enjoy your images through iPhoto. If you ever need the file of an image, drag it out of the iPhoto window onto your desktop, this will create a copy for you and you can do whatever you want with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Just ditch iPhoto. I find it's garbage for my uses and I hate that I have to import photos into it for use with certain programs.

Not helpful huh? Telling some one that they should get rid of iPoto is very helpful. There's other programs out there that are much better according to people on this fourm.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i`d like to atleast try iPhoto out before flushing it but if not what does everyone recommend in palce of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
For the normal user, not the professional, iPhoto is very good. Easy to use, organized (when you stay within the app) and has many options. If you are a standard snapshot taker, it will do you fine. If, however, you are a professional, there are other things you would want to try.

I really suggest you give it a whirl, work out how you want to organize it, and go from there. You can set preferences to open another editing program (Photoshop, Elements, etc.) if you wish, and the resulting edited photo will be placed right back where it was. Very convenient.

Easy to email from within the app, easy to create photo albums and webpages. Just give it a try -- really is the "mac way" of doing things!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well i`d like to atleast try iPhoto out before flushing it but if not what does everyone recommend in palce of it?

I'd be interested in seeing how you answer the question skybolt asked and then trying what yogi suggested.

I only use iPhoto for importing digital pictures from my Nikon D50, some light editing with said pictures and some other minor stuff.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well right now all I want to do is put on a slideshow. The next step is i`m getting married one wek today and want to take the photos our photographer gives us and then edit them from there. I was looking at photoshop but have heard there are some other great apps for mac that work just as good. I`m really new to this all and macs so there is a lot I do not know but I see already the mac community is very tight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Oh. IPhoto isn't really a photo editing software. It's more like for collecting, sorting, marking, organizing, sharing, exporting and such. But editing? Not so much.

here is a lot I do not know but I see already the mac community is very tight

Don't let this discourage you. Macs are a much better platform than the hardcore, old skoole fanbois would let you believe ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I`m not scared off I actually feel great that I can come here and get a answer that is straight and true. If Pokerstars could get a MAC version I would barely need that PC anymore...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
EDIT: Xee is more like Preview. I had a different app that I had that was more similar to iPhoto. When I find it, I'll post it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.