External DVD burner nor Internal CD burner working

Reaction score
Emac - running OSX 3.9 purchased October 2004
External LaCie DVD burner (USB and Firewire) purchased June 2007

Initially I had a problem trying to burn DVDs to the external LaCie DVD burner - the DVDs wouldn't burn giving me these error messages:

Buffer underrun error. Writing was halted because data could not be sent to the recorder fast enough to maintain the current write speed. Please try again with a slower write speed.

-50 interface error the connection is not stable

I’ve tried (unsucessfully):

Using different types of blank DVDs both RW and R
Writing at the slowest speed possible x1 and x2
Burning from Toast, Finder, Iphoto
I even tried re-installing Toast

I also tried attaching the DVD burner to a PC – it burnt the DVD but didn’t verify it sucessfully.

12GB of space are free on the Hard Disk so there should have been enough space to burn the DVD.

I then remembered that in the past the emac has once in a while had problems burning a CD but on a second attempt it’s been fine.

So I then tried to burn a CD using the emacs internal drive. I tried three times with no sucess and these messages:

The drive reported an error sense key medium error sense code OXOC write error

2nd time: Sector 623 is unreadable verification failed

3rd time (after burning a cd in Itunes) when I try to play it I get the message No volumes that the mac can read.

I am now worried that it is more serious than something to do with the CD or DVD burner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.