Illustrator Locked Down

Reaction score
Sorry that my first post has to be a (possibly) simple question, but I am pretty stuck having never come across this before. I've been given an eps file from a client which looks to have been created in Illustrator (not sure which version but no more recent than CS1). When I open the file in Illustrator CS1 and CS2 the file is completely locked. The cursor icon turns into a pencil with a black line through it. Can someone please tell me how to unlock this file, or if it's not possible, and just for future reference, how to lock a file in this manner?!?

Many thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, eyedee.

The only way I know a file can be locked is in the layers palette: you simply click on the lock icon and it will unlock the layer.

Or it could be that the top target layer is hidden (set to invisible). That is easily fixed by going again to the Layer palette and make sure all the layers have the eye icon.

Maybe someone with more experience with Illustrator has other ideas.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank for the welcome MacHeadCase. And thanks for solving my problem! As you can probably tell, I'm not that used to using illustrator yet. Thanks again. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.