External Hard drive not recognized, speaker noise, because UPDATE?

Reaction score
I have 2 external hard drives. One is FAT32, one is HFS+.
They have both been working fine for a number of months.
Recently, the FAT32 drive has not been recognised at all. I plug it in and turn it on but nothing appears whatever, as if it is not plugged in.
I tried the HFS+ drive, and that is recognised as before, but only through one of the two USB ports, which seems strange. (I am using Macbook).

I thought it was my FAT32 drive malfunctioning, but since one USB port doesn't recognise the HFS+ either, I checked on the net. Then I found it may be to do with the 10.4.10 Update.
( http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1005082&tstart=0 )
Other people seem to have the similar problems. I also read about thump noises from the speakers from this update. I had noticed that too and am now glad that it is not my amp going wrong!!

How can these problems be fixed? Is there a new update coming to fix them? It seems quite terrible. I am new to all this so I do not know how to fix it.

Thank you very much
Justin

Reaction score
I am currently having problems with my external hard drive too - just recently the mac's not recognising it (worked fine before). It's NTFS (im trying to format it to FAT32). The hard drive powers up, but does not appear on my mac.

Anyone had anything similar?

matt

OP
J
Reaction score
I am currently having problems with my external hard drive too - just recently the mac's not recognising it (worked fine before). It's NTFS (im trying to format it to FAT32). The hard drive powers up, but does not appear on my mac.

Anyone had anything similar?

matt

Hi Matt
Is your drive connected via USB? If you follow the link I posted in my first post above, you will see many people have had this problem. but, I cannot understand how to remedy it. Did it happen for you also after the 10.4.10 update?
Justin

Reaction score
hiya,
yeh, it's connected by usb. i've been on the forums on apple's site and have found other people with the problem. it seems to be connected to the 10.4.10 update.

the only remedy is to wait for another update i think! people are trying to change their hard drives to connect via firewire to sort it too.

randomly my hard drive showed up yesterday so i managed to format it to fat32, but it's gone again today!

matt

OP
J
Reaction score
hiya,
yeh, it's connected by usb. i've been on the forums on apple's site and have found other people with the problem. it seems to be connected to the 10.4.10 update.

the only remedy is to wait for another update i think! people are trying to change their hard drives to connect via firewire to sort it too.

randomly my hard drive showed up yesterday so i managed to format it to fat32, but it's gone again today!

matt

If you had formatted it to HFS+ I wonder it might still be there now. My HFS+ has no troubles. Makes me think Mac has biased it to its own format!
Also my camera was not recognised one time and was another time.
Guess we have to just wait for an update like you said. Poor show I say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
So wait. The FAT32 won't work anymore? I'm ordering my MBP on monday and I'm planning on transfering my data from this comp onto the HD and your saying that when I plug it in it won't be recognized?

Reaction score
So wait. The FAT32 won't work anymore? I'm ordering my MBP on monday and I'm planning on transfering my data from this comp onto the HD and your saying that when I plug it in it won't be recognized?

seems that way at the moment, im afraid. unless you get your macbook without the update.

it's a bit tempremental, so it might show up.

im gonna invest in a firewire hard drive, i think. frees up one of my usb ports, too.

matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
So if i'm ordering on monday... will it have the 10.4.10 update?

OP
J
Reaction score
So if i'm ordering on monday... will it have the 10.4.10 update?

Why not ask the shop directly, whether it will be able to use your drive. If it can't then I guess it is up to the shop to fix it for you if they said it would.
You could always make a new thread about it or find some other way to make more noise about it - perhaps that way they'll fix it sooner!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.07Ghz, 768 MB / iPod Video / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
.....Did it happen for you also after the 10.4.10 update?
Justin

This answers my question. Was working before no problem then after update, nothing!!! :(

They better get this sorted quickly!

Reaction score
I too am having this same problem. I'm in desperate need to get to the data on these drives. I hope they fix this soon.

Reaction score
Oh man, I have the same deal. I know the drive works because I hooked it up to a pc and it recognized it fine. It was working fine until a couple days ago, then bam, nothing. I can get it to be recognized in the disk repair, but it doesnt show up in finder. Bah, all my music is on there. I guess I can look at the bright side and say at least the drive didn't fry, as I originally thougth.

Reaction score
Same thing here. Driving me crazy!

The crazy thing is that I can connect to my USB2 HD if, and only if, I connect it to the USB port on my ancient imac keyboard, which is in turn connected to my old Studio Display, which is connected to the MacBookPro. Needless to say the transfer speed is about 40Mb/min...not really usable.

Is there anyway to rollback to a previous update? I need proper access to the HD for work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Same problem here. I just bought a new 500GB MyBook and it won't recognize it. If I reformat it to NTFS using my Windows computer, will it recognize it then?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since NTFS is a proprietary Windows format, and can only be written to by Windows, that really would not do you any good. How is the drive formatted now? Does Disk Utility see the drive in OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was getting my formats mixed up. Anyway, I found that both of my drives will show up if plugged directly into my MBP, but not with my new USB hub. It seems to be very temperamental. My iPod Shuffle worked fine with the hub yesterday, now it's not recognized. I had one drive recognized through the hub about 5 minutes ago. Now neither will show up. Maybe I need a different hub.

It's a 7 port slim hub made by a company called Zonet. I don't know how reliable they are. It says it's Mac compatible. If anyone has any experience with this kind of hub, or knows of a rock-solid working hub with their MBP, let me know.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had good luck with Belkin USB Hubs with Macs and so have many others here and on other forums I visit. I usually try to plug a Hard Drive in directly if I can, but If you have a lot of USB devices it's hard sometimes. Does the WD drive have a Firewire port? I would plug it in Firewire if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, they're USB only. The firewire versions are a lot more expensive and not worth it to me.

I have 2 of the hard drives plugged into the USB hub. Could that cause a problem? It is a powered hub, so I didn't think it would be an issue. I was just surfing hubs and found this on the Belkin site.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=196201

It looks pretty nice. I didn't like the high price until I found it on Wal-Mart for nearly half the listed price on Belkin. I feel like I'm thread hijacking. I'm going to start a new thread.

Reaction score
I was getting my formats mixed up. Anyway, I found that both of my drives will show up if plugged directly into my MBP, but not with my new USB hub.

Exact opposite of the problem I am having. There appears to be little rhyme or reason to this issue. Seriously frustrated and not keen to have buy a hub just to be able to use a USB device!

Anyone made progress?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.