NTFS-formatted Windows XP installed via Bootcamp 1.3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am interested in installing Windows XP via Bootcamp on my Macbook. However, I do not want to limit myself in partition size and security by formatting it FAT. This is why I would like to format Windows XP to NTFS.

We are all too familiar with the dilemma of NTFS on OS X 10.4. Thanks to useful utilities such as NTFS-3G and MacFuse, though, we are able to write in addition to read NTFS-formatted volumes on properly.

I believe that the latest version of Parallels (v.3) installs these utilities in the background providing more capability with the NTFS file system.

So here are my questions:

1)

Above I assumed this but want to make sure:

Would installing the latest version of Parallels improve overall NTFS compatibility? Whether it is with a NTFS-formatted external USB 2.0 hard drive or recognizing the NTFS-formatted Windows XP.

2)

Installing Windows XP through Bootcamp and formatting it to NTFS, will I be able to use Windows XP to its full capacity (save, edit, delete files, etc) once I start it through Bootcamp? I guess it could be assumed that I would install Parallels before installing Windows XP, trusting that these new NTFS drivers will provide the functionality I desire.

As for "full capacity," I'm also referring to peripherals too, such as a USB 2.0 NTFS-formatted external hard drive. I would like to know if Windows XP would be able to pick this device up and read and write to it properly.

3)

Given the same scenario as in question 1 (where Windows XP is installed via Bootcamp and NTFS-formatted), would I be able to use Parallels (latest version) to start up Windows XP and drag-and-drop files back and forth between Windows XP and Mac OS X?

4)

Asking question 3 brings to mind another similar, more general question:

Running NTFS-formatted Windows XP, are there any compatibility issues that Parallels would run into? Such as a particular Parallel feature not working properly.

5)

Lastly, being that it is still a MacBook, would installing Windows XP NTFS-formatted contribute (in any way) negatively with Bootcamp attempting to run Windows natively?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1)

Above I assumed this but want to make sure:

Would installing the latest version of Parallels improve overall NTFS compatibility? Whether it is with a NTFS-formatted external USB 2.0 hard drive or recognizing the NTFS-formatted Windows XP.

No. Parallels does not install any FS drivers on OS X. It merely allows for drag and drop functionality while running a VM session.

2)

Installing Windows XP through Bootcamp and formatting it to NTFS, will I be able to use Windows XP to its full capacity (save, edit, delete files, etc) once I start it through Bootcamp? I guess it could be assumed that I would install Parallels before installing Windows XP, trusting that these new NTFS drivers will provide the functionality I desire.

No, you must install Boot Camp first and then have Parallels detect the presence of the partition.

As for "full capacity," I'm also referring to peripherals too, such as a USB 2.0 NTFS-formatted external hard drive. I would like to know if Windows XP would be able to pick this device up and read and write to it properly.

Yes, providing you're running Windows (and in Parallels, that you've virtually plugged in the USB device).

3)

Given the same scenario as in question 1 (where Windows XP is installed via Bootcamp and NTFS-formatted), would I be able to use Parallels (latest version) to start up Windows XP and drag-and-drop files back and forth between Windows XP and Mac OS X?

Yes.

4)

Asking question 3 brings to mind another similar, more general question:

Running NTFS-formatted Windows XP, are there any compatibility issues that Parallels would run into? Such as a particular Parallel feature not working properly.

No, it's pretty much seamless. Parallels has always supported NTFS formatted disks, it just has some new features like drag and drop.

5)

Lastly, being that it is still a MacBook, would installing Windows XP NTFS-formatted contribute (in any way) negatively with Bootcamp attempting to run Windows natively?

No. Boot Camp has supported NTFS partitions for the last several versions that I've used. It's just that you can't write to the partition from OS X normally.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey cwa107,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Just a little remarks for clarification.

1) So what if I want Mac OS X to recognize my NTFS-formatted external hard drive. Would I have to start Parallels, mount the NTFS drive in the VM, and use the drag and drop functionality from there?

2) Ok...I understand about installing Bootcamp first. When you say "virtually plugged in the USB device," are you referring to what I described above in #1. Mounting the device with Parallels.

3) Wow. This sounds a bit surreal. So by starting Windows XP (bootcamp installed) through Parallels would still provide drag and drop capability?

4) Interesting...if this is the case, why would anyone want to format Windows XP in FAT then? NTFS doesn't limit you to 32gb drive or the 4gb file size. It is also far more secure.

5) Just for clarification, by "normally" you mean without Parallels or the help of any other utility.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey cwa107,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Just a little remarks for clarification.

1) So what if I want Mac OS X to recognize my NTFS-formatted external hard drive. Would I have to start Parallels, mount the NTFS drive in the VM, and use the drag and drop functionality from there?

Mac OS will recognize and mount it automatically, it just won't be able to write to it. In fact, to write to it, you'd have to move the file over to your Windows desktop and then use Windows to open the drive and write the file.

2) Ok...I understand about installing Bootcamp first. When you say "virtually plugged in the USB device," are you referring to what I described above in #1. Mounting the device with Parallels.

In order to get Parallels to attach a USB device to the Windows session, you have to go to the Actions menu, select the device from the USB menu and then click it. That is, unless you keep the drive connected all the time. In that case, you would simply add the drive to the VM configuration before you fire up Windows and then it would be automatically mounted every time you start your VM session.

3) Wow. This sounds a bit surreal. So by starting Windows XP (bootcamp installed) through Parallels would still provide drag and drop capability?

Yes, as long as Windows is running in Parallels and Parallels Tools is installed (a suite of Windows drivers that are installed after Windows is installed), drag and drop between Windows and OS X works pretty seamlessly.

4) Interesting...if this is the case, why would anyone want to format Windows XP in FAT then? NTFS doesn't limit you to 32gb drive or the 4gb file size. It is also far more secure.

Because FAT32 is universally readable and writeable, regardless of whether Parallels is running or not. Also, FAT32 is not limited to 32GB (Windows imposes an artificial 32GB limit, MacOS can format FAT32 to much larger sizes - although I don't know the cap off the top of my head). FAT32 does still have a 4GB single file size cap though. Oh, and you're right, NTFS is more secure by virtue of it's file and folder-level permissions.

5) Just for clarification, by "normally" you mean without Parallels or the help of any other utility.

Exactly.

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow...thanks so much for all the feedback. I'm sure I would have figured out that out after playing with it, but being that this will be my first Apple computer, I'm a little nervous. Just want to make sure that my Windows experience remains intact on a MacBook. But after this, seems like Bootcamp and Parallel has come a long way to insure that the transition from PC to Mac is as smooth as possible. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.