• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The OFFICIAL 'why do we have official threads' thread!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
What gives with all the "OFFICIAL" threads?
This is almost reaching plague level like the meaningless titled threads.

What does 'official' mean?
  • You may not start a similarly named thread (this would be like naming a new product iPop)
  • Expect this thread to reach 15 pages by week's end
  • This thread is really not official
  • 'Please click on me'
What makes a thread official?
  • It is the first thread here with it's subject matter (obviously not)
  • An official officer of Mac-Forums designated it so
  • The thread was registered at the US Patent Office
  • Permission to start the thread was given to the starter along with their Passport. Three forms of ID were required: Birth Certificate, Drivers License, and last telephone bill
  • It is a thread that is so overly-encompassing that it makes no sense as a single thread. IE: "The OFFICIAL Aplle thread!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Lots of capitals, explanation points, and misspellings in the title (see above)
Well this was fun. Back to work.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i officially did not use "official" when i named these popular threads:

Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

What song are you listening to right now?

what are you eating right now?

maybe its because official sounds/looks too much like offal (yuk).

OP
giulio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
you lost me, brown!

eric, what's offal?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
from m-w.com

Main Entry: of·fal
Pronunciation: 'o-f&l, 'ä-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from of off + fall
1 : the waste or by-product of a process: as a : trimmings of a hide b : the by-products of milling used especially for stock feeds c : the viscera and trimmings of a butchered animal removed in dressing : VARIETY MEAT
2 : RUBBISH

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh ** **! that was so punny! ;P

edit: uh, officially that is. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
Wow, I didn't notice how many "official" threads there were until I read this thread.

A point that I must make however is that when I look at faq's, they usually never say official. They usually will be titled something like: "Username's UNofficial subject FAQ". Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think these people should apologize to the "unit"

M

MacHeadCase

oh ** **! that was so punny! ;P

edit: uh, officially that is. ;)

It was a pune, eric. So says Terry Pratchett. :D

Wow, I didn't notice how many "official" threads there were until I read this thread.

A point that I must make however is that when I look at faq's, they usually never say official. They usually will be titled something like: "Username's UNofficial subject FAQ". Just a thought.

The real spelling for FAQ is FoAQ = Frequently (officially) Asked Questions. ;)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is that spelling official MHC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
The "official" posts here are probably designated by "officials" commonly known as "administrators" or "mods."

That keeps it official you know! :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'm guilty of creating an "official" thread. The Official "How To Transfer Your iPod or iTunes Library to Your New Mac" Thread I just did it to draw attention to it because it was targeted towards newbies who asked the same questions over and over. However, I officially created it before calling things 'official' was officially cool... or at least before I officially saw how many 'official' threads there were. Regardless, I officially apologize to the unit, there was no reason to do something as stupid as I officially have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.