Power Mac 6500 - Monitor destroyed

Reaction score
I have a Power Mac 6500/250. The monitor was destroyed, and now I'm having the devil's own time trying to figure out how to access the text files on the computer. I believe the O/S was earlier than 9.2. (May it have been 8.5?) Is there an adapter or connector that would enable me to hook the computer up to another monitor? If so, please be specific because I've already been advised by two people to get the "doohickey" that would perform this task. The ideal solution would be to email myself the files, but failing this, I'd consider myself lucky just to be able to view them on a monitor so that I could re-type them into another computer. Thank you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you, dtravis7, but the problem is that I need the small end to be female and the large end to be male. Is there, perhaps, another solution?? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thank you, dtravis7, but the problem is that I need the small end to be female and the large end to be male. Is there, perhaps, another solution?? Thanks.

Opps. Backwards for what you need. Will get back to you.

Here you go. I guess I was in a hurry and gave you a URL to a Mac Monitor to PC adapter. Sorry about that.

http://www.sfcable.com/cable/p/30D2-A2.html

http://www.sfcable.com/cable/p/30D2-B2.html

Sometimes the adapters with the Dip Switches work with more combos of Mac and PC monitor.

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay, bear with me one more time. I bought both of the adapters, just to be safe, and they arrived in the mail the other day. My brother tried them on his monitor (he uses a Mac), with these results: The one without the dip switch gave a screen message that said Out of Range; the one with the dip switch gave the same message sometimes, and no signal others, depending on the settings. He doesn't know what the settings should be. Am I getting close?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
did you get the ones I gave you the URL's for? I just checked my old Mac collection and have a 6500/250 but it does not have the stock card for me to try. I will mess around and get back to you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I do have the ones you specified: Mac to VGA DB15 Male to HD15 Female, and the 10 DIP Switch Mac to VGA. Both from SF Cable, part #s 30D2-A2 and 30D2-B2.
What's the stock card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.