CD's Not Booting :(

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Now here's the deal... i have an iMac G3 that has been working wonders for me for 6 months now since i purchased it on eBay everything seems to be working fine BUT recently i came in interest to want to upgrade from the installed Panther 10.3.9 to the latest version of Tiger.... now i purchased the dvd's and swapped it with apple for $10 so they gave me the CD set version since i am sadly running it with a cd-rom tray :( anyways i was exited when i got the disc and was ready to install tiger and discovered... the install disk were not booting, the cd-rom tray as is fine and it is able to read cd's and do everything a regular cd-rom tray would do but when i try booting the install disc holding C when starting the machine or even when i set the install CD as the startup disk i get either a question mark on boot or it will just ignore it, the install CD itself is perfectly clean and will read just fine, i can even click the install tiger icon and it states i will have to restart and it will boot then and ask for my password i do so but it doesn't show anything... it will just boot my Mac OS X 10.3.9 :( I was doing some research and found out that it may be because my CD-Rom tray is not supported or something.... I'm not sure how true this is but i was hoping there was a work around as i do not have any mac friends, i have no firewire cables, no external hdd's, and no money to replace the cd-rom tray due to the fact that i spent enough on the Tiger set and will be broke for a while..... my question is... has anyone ever ran into this problem before and may know how to fix or work around it ??? I have 2 pc's and a ipod is all i can see that would MAYBE be useful but i doubt even that would be helpful :(

If anyone needs to know here are my mac's specs:
Apple iMac G3 Indigo (Model: M5521)
Processor: 400 Mhz G3 PowerPc
320MB Ram
10GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM Drive
Network: 10/100 Ethernet
Modem: 56.6k
Wireless: Airport Ready
Ports: 2 USB + 2 Firewire
Display: 15" Color (13.8" viewable, .28 dp, 95 Hz-800 x 600).
Onboard Sound With Headphone Jack
Operating System: Mac O/S/X 10.3.9 And Mac O/S 9.2.2 Installed

OP
Y
Reaction score
I just thought of something..... now since i don't think i have many options besides finding a mac friend or getting a new dvd or cd-rom drive.... i was wondering since i have 2 pc's already here.... does anyone know if it would be possible to use my pac to run the tiger installation and move the installation to my mac's HDD ? or maybe convert the pc running tiger to my mac HDD to where i can be bootable somehow ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.