What do I delete after installing dmgs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80 Gig HD with Superdrive....
Ok...Download a dmg install file for say quicksilver online. I think i`m confused how to install etc cause i`m getting shortcuts and when I go to delete the dmg some programs don`t work. What am I doing wrong? What should be deleted? What is the proper way to install these programs? I know it says drag program to Apps folder. I do that, then deleted the dmg and poof doesn`t work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
download the .dmg from the web... it will (most likely) automaticly mount the Image, and open a finder window...

Click+Drag the QS application icon and drop it in your Applications folder.

Now Highlight (select) both the .dmg, and the mounted image (looks like a drive usually) and drag them both to the trash... the Trash can will turn into and Eject Icon.. that is what it is supposed to do.

Now... go back into your applications folder and double click the QS icon.

EDIT:
Here is a youtube video I made on how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPOe1_dxz88

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i`ll try it out and see what I was doing wrong. If all goes well you won`t hear from me =)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Perhaps it would be helpful to understand what a DMG file is in the first place?

A DMG file is a "disk image". When you open it, Mac OS pretends like you've just popped a disk into a drive. Typically from this point you would drag the application that is stored on the disk into your Applications folder to install it. When you're done, you eject the virtual disk, by dragging it into your trash can and then delete the DMG file since you no longer need it.

Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Perhaps it would be helpful to understand what a DMG file is in the first place?

A DMG file is a "disk image". When you open it, Mac OS pretends like you've just popped a disk into a drive. Typically from this point you would drag the application that is stored on the disk into your Applications folder to install it. When you're done, you eject the virtual disk, by dragging it into your trash can and then delete the DMG file since you no longer need it.

Does that make sense?

Best example of what a DMG file is and how it works that I have heard to date.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Id sure say so..Who knew cookie monster was so educated in cookies and mac computers. As for that other guy with him in the pic, well.... :p

Reaction score
It may be that the disk image inside the compressed, downloaded file is mistaken for the application if it isn't made clear that two files must be opened first, and that the app to be dragged is the third file.

This error can be compounded when the person whose setup automatically opens the compressed file speaks of only one file that must be opened, or doesn't mention it at all if the computer opens the compressed file and the disk image, as well.

In either case, the disk-image-drive icon becomes synonymous with the app inside it — and neither party realizes it — with the image file containing the app being dragged into the Applications folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.