blinking sleep light/water damage

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site, but I've browsed through a lot of pages, and couldn't find anything covering this--so I spilled water on my laptop (not an uncommon theme, I need to be more careful, I know). It was on at the time, and after about 5 seconds it turned off. I unplugged it, and removed the battery, let it air out. The next time I tried it, it turned on and started up, then after about 10-15 minutes, shut back down. Since then, it has turned on a couple of times for shorter periods of time, but usually when I attempt to turn it on, I can hear the harddrive running, but the screen remains blank, and the sleep indicator light blinks rapidly. Through google, I saw that this might be related to the ram being too loose--do you think that perhaps the ram is simply shot? If it started up before, should that give me some hope that at least the logic board is alive? Any advice would be great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
the only way to know is probably to put a different ram in there. i hope it didnt fry the logic board..... :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That is the warning sign for incorrect or unseated RAM, so it could just be that. It could also be the RAM connector on the logic board though...
You might want to leave it to dry for a few days and give it another go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
id check the ram, remove it, wipe it off, check the slot.

maybe even buy a cheap stick of new ram, and install, see how it goes.

my guess is there is just some spillage on the ram connector, and reinstalling the old ram a few times to wear it off may do the trick

OP
M
Reaction score
thank you guys so much for everything. I'm at work right now, but I think I'm going to try to remove the RAM when I get home and dry it off, ect. The fact that it has vascillated between working fine and then blinking makes me think (extremely wishfully...) that it may just be the connection as well. If I want to try a stick of ram as you suggested, is there a minimum amount necessary for the macbook? Again, thanks for everything, you've helped me maintain some sanity while I pray for the life of my month-old computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ill send you a 256mb stick for 10bucks?

just if your interested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.