installing Mac OS X panther on a new HD

Reaction score
hi there,

i have bought a second hard iMac G3 and was interested in upgrading its hard drive from the noisy 20GB unit to a quieter 120GB model.

i face a dilemma however, because i don't have the original install disks that came with the iMac. i do however have Mac OS X Panther Upgrade disks. will these (3) disks install on a fresh new HD with no prior Mac OS installed on them?

im not interested in running Mac OS 9 and believe that when the system came pre-loaded with Mac OS X 10.2 [Large Cat - cant remember] - no partition existed.

any help or advice on this topic would be great fully received!

thanks,
James ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I had a similar machine and I seem to recall that you needed to install OS 9 so that you could flash the machine before an OS X upgrade/install.

Easiest way to migrate is to use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the HD from small to big. Then replace the HD and voila completed. I did this to go from the default 13GB to 120 and also did this on my G4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.