• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

10 things you want to change about yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
That is why vegetarians get so upset, it's because people are not informed correctly, and they are treated "un-human". Everything people say about vegetarianism and veganism is just speculations. I'm not going to flame anyone or get upset, eating meat and animal products are your own choice, and I don't ever want to push my beliefs onto anyone else because it's wrong. But I will give some information and try to demystify a little bit.

This isn't a flame and I'm not trying to be rude.
-------
I dont understand vegans or vegeatarians really. You dont want to eat something because it was once alive, but arent all plants alive.

Plant's don't have a central nervous system like animals do. They don't feel pain like a human or an animal does. They can feel changes in the atmosphere, in their nutrients, and to their surroundings, but it's not the same as causing pain to someone or an animal.

if all you eat are plants, thats one boring life, especially if you dont eat eggs or milk because a lot of things are made with that stuff

People seem to think all "veggies" eat are plants. This is not true at all. It might have been in the 50's when there wasn't anything else to eat for a veggie but plants and salads. People get this crazy idea that all we eat is plants.

We eat way more than plants. There was pasta mentioned. I eat pasta, I eat spaghetti, fettuccine, lasagna, tortellini, etc. They make sauce without meat. And If I want "meat" all I have to do is put veggie crumble in it.

There are alternatives to meat. It tastes the exact same - most of the time, better than animal meat. There are patties, lunch meat, (turkey, chicken, ham, bologna, salami, etc.) It all tastes the same. I had Italian sausages with mashed potatoes with *BUTTER* last weekend.

I recently made my lady friend and I, Philly steak and cheese sandwiches on toasted mini subs. They make steak slices and steak strips. It tastes SO GOOD. And (soy) mozzarella cheese with cooked green peppers, mushrooms and onions topped with Nayo (vegan mayo. ) accompanied with tater tots and wine. It's so yummy.

Alternatives.
-------
Butter: Instead of butter made from animals we use soy, or vegetable based margarine and butter, it tastes the exact same. Your grandma and momma uses the stuff too! You pick it up with out even knowing it. Vegetable spreads are all over the place. We just make sure there isn't animal milk in what we use.

Same for milk. Instead of cows milk, we use soy milk. People say soy milk is so disgusting, it depends on what you buy. Some companies make their soy milk taste watery, that's the disgusting kind. Silk is the best ( i think) it's my personal favorite.

Cheese : There is soy and rice based cheeses. Made from vegetable resources and rice protein and fats, as well as soy fat and protein. It tastes just like the other cheeses made from animals. We have all kinds, pepper jack, swiss, mozzarella, cheddar, American, colby, etc. It comes in blocks, slices or shredded.

Condiments like mayonnaise and salad dressings are also covered. Allot are already safe. Some have milk in them, and there is usually the same thing with out milk. They make vegan mayonnaise, and it tastes the exact same as helmans or kraft. I use a brand called Nayo.

Eggs. There are so many egg alternatives. Tofu, egg replacer, nutritional yeast, flax etc. It's surprising, allot of recipes that call for eggs don't really need eggs. And if they do, it's easily replaced by a tasteless replacement. People think using tofu or an egg replacer will ruin a baked good. But it won't . You can't even tell the egg has been replaced with something else. Tofu and egg replacer takes the roll of an egg. It acts just like an egg would. It blends in undetected.

Tofu: people think tofu is disgusting and it's sooooo gross. Well, DUH!! it's going to be nasty and weird if you eat it raw. Tofu isn't meant to be eaten raw. It's meant to be cooked or added in with something else. You don't make egg salad with just eggs. You have to add mustard, relish, mayo, spices etc. to make the egg salad. Same thing with tofu. If I make "Egg salad" with tofu instead of eggs I need to have the essential ingredients to make what I'm making. That's how tofu is used. You can fry it too, or mix it. It's very versatile. And it contains allot of protein and other nutrients you need. You should never eat your tofu raw. You'll turn away from it and never want to try it again. Because it will taste like eating cooked boiled egg whites with no seasoning. Not too appetizing, and not full of flavor.
-------

The protein myth. This one is a big one, people think you'll die from the lack of protein or you'll get some kind of a protein deficiency. Well, not true at all.

In general, you're more than likely to catch aids from a bathroom toilet seat than you would ever to develop a lack of protein. I dont want that last statement to come off rude by any means. It's just, the media / advertisements / food industry use protein as a marketing tool. You don't actually need as much protein as they lead you to believe you do. It's actually been proven and can be and is linked to lots of common health problems. Getting to much animal protein can lead to all kinds of nasty problems such as, kidney stones, cancer of the colon, liver, it can also cause heart disease.

"Vegans should not worry about getting enough protein; if you eat a reasonably varied diet and ingest sufficient calories, you will undoubtedly get enough protein. Protein deficiency, or “kwashiorkor,” is very rare in the U.S. and is usually diagnosed in people living in countries suffering from famine."
That last snippet is taken from this document.

http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=105

I figured I should present some information so it does not look and sound like I'm tooting my horn about something i have no clue about.

Most vegan / vegetarian foods are soy based, soy provides tons of protein. Most every vegan product has plenty per serving.
-------

Calcium, People also think you'll loose calcium and your bones will break and you'll become very sick from not eating dairy. This is not true either. Let me put it this way. Where does milk usually come from? A cow, right? What is the first think you think of when you hear the term "calcium"? You usually associate calcium with milk. Correct? Did we ever think about this, where does that cow get it's calcium and protein? From PLANTS! (wow) Cows graze and eat plant life, (well non factory confined cows) they get their protein and calcium from the plant life they eat. When was the last time you seen a cow eating a big mac, or a foot long.

Soymilk (silk to be specific) contains more calcium and protein than cows milk it also contains iron and other essential nutrients. Plus, it has less calories and fat.

People say, "but if you don't milk a cow it's utters will burst!" Cows that are raised to produce more milk, faster, can be at risk from having their utters damaged and explode, not like a nasty outward explosive mess but internally, like a hernia but worse, like a burst appendix. The reason this happens is because they are on steroids and hormones, these chemicals make the cow produce more milk than naturally intended. This is why they could burst if they weren't drained. Now, if you take a cow and put it in it's natural habitat, it wouldn't do this. They produce milk for their young, much like humans do. Women don't produce milk from their breasts daily. Unless there is a medical issue. Or they are on steroids and / or hormones.

Women only produce milk when they are nurturing their young. When they are giving birth and when they are fertile. This is the same for cows and other milk producing animals. Allot of cows are pumped full of drugs, this is why they produce more milk than they should.
-------

We eat allot better than people think we do, people think it's all about salad and leafs and it's not true. I hope I made people realize that. Hopefully this posted shined a light on some truth. Generally the things we eat are allot more healthier, and feel better. But that doesn't mean veg people are any better than anyone else. Because people that eat and use animal products are people too. It doesn't make you less of a human, or a person.

I think people get misconstrued when talking about being vegan or vegetarians, because they don't really know what to believe and what not to believe, they don't know what some of this stuff is about. People think it's so bad, but in reality. Allot of the products, and methods we use to live everyone uses too. Like your mocha latte at starbucks, if you choose soy or something like that, it's Silk soy milk. Tastes dang good eh? The food we eat is no different. The only difference is an animal wasn't brutally tortured for the meal.

Factory farming is pretty wrong and disgusting, that's why allot of people frown at the idea of eating factory meat. I'd rather get my meat from a farmer or a local business, not by some big wig that has animals on a conveyor belt and is pumping them out by the 1000's of pounds.

I'm veg because I don't like all of the hatred that is put toward animals, they are living beings too. They have a purpose just like everything and everyone else on this earth. They aren't here JUST for food, there are other reasons as well. I also don't like being lied to, and I don't want to consume genetically modified foods, the meat that is on store shelves today is pumped full of chemicals. It's almost radioactive because there is so much crap in it, and you're not told this unless if you look for the answer. It's quite disgusting to me. We wonder why we have so many health problems, it's because of what we put into our bodies.

(continued)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some people certain things are good for them, if you like it then keep going. But make smart choices. The way animals are used for food is also hurting our environment, all of the waste and chemicals used and created gets dumped into out water supply, into our grounds into the air etc. It's not good.

We're not here forever, and we should keep it clean for our children and their children. I want to have kids and I want to see them grow up, I want them to have kids too. I'd like to be a grand parent, even a great grandparent. I'm sure allot of you would. But we might not get that chance if we keep hurting the planet. It's the only place we have to live at right now, and were abusing it. We help by recycling, so why don't we help more? it's not hard. I'm not trying to change anyone, I'm just stating a point. You might check out this documentary. It's called earthlings. It's about what were doing today and how it's effecting our lives and environment.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...598&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I'm sorry brenden, for the long post and to get off of subject. I just feel I should try to clear things up for people that base their opinions on rumors. No offense to any one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
One thing is for certain ..... there are a lot of procrasitanors on this forum....or are there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I dont understand vegans or vegeatarians really. You dont want to eat something because it was once alive, but arent all plants alive. I have no problem eating meat. I also have no problem paying a little mroe for humanely kept meat. But meat and animals are there to eat.

I say go ahead. I haven't eaten meat lately because I want to lose some weight. It was as simple as that for me. It had nothing to do with animal rights, for me at least. Some of those vegans are a INSANE though, so I see where your criticism came from. I really can't understand why they worry so much about what other people do. My philosophy, "If you want to eat meat, eat it. If you don't, then don't." Nobody has any business dictating what other people put into their bodies. For some reason, many vegans are so high on their own self-righteous high-horses that they treat all meat-eaters like they're mindless sheep for the food companies and that veganism is there to show them the way to salvation. Just like so many other pointless social issues that we bicker about in this country, the people who do the criticizing and yelling are probably covering up for their own insecurities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I say go ahead. I haven't eaten meat lately because I want to lose some weight. It was as simple as that for me. It had nothing to do with animal rights, for me at least. Some of those vegans are a INSANE though, so I see where your criticism came from. I really can't understand why they worry so much about what other people do. My philosophy, "If you want to eat meat, eat it. If you don't, then don't." Nobody has any business dictating what other people put into their bodies. For some reason, many vegans are so high on their own self-righteous high-horses that they treat all meat-eaters like they're mindless sheep for the food companies and that veganism is there to show them the way to salvation. Just like so many other pointless social issues that we bicker about in this country, the people who do the criticizing and yelling are probably covering up for their own insecurities.

That's very true. Some of them are pretty insane. And I believe it's wrong forcing your believes onto some one else, and telling them they are a piece of *doo* because they eat meat. Or because they study a different religion. It's pointless when you want to help, yet you force. Because when you force your beliefs people won't listen to you, and that will create a stereotype.

Vegans have a stereotype now because a select few have been stupid and tried to force people to become vegan. It's understanding why people ridicule us so much. It's sad, but true.

I try to do good and try to inform those that don't know what they have heard, if it's true or not. I want people to realize that not all vegans are freaks, and that they aren't all out in the streets throwing dead animals at people or covering themselves in blood to make a point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

That's very true. Some of them are pretty insane. And I believe it's wrong forcing your believes onto some one else, and telling them they are a piece of *doo* because they eat meat. Or because they study a different religion. It's pointless when you want to help, yet you force. Because when you force your beliefs people won't listen to you, and that will create a stereotype.

Vegans have a stereotype now because a select few have been stupid and tried to force people to become vegan. It's understanding why people ridicule us so much. It's sad, but true.

I try to do good and try to inform those that don't know what they have heard, if it's true or not. I want people to realize that not all vegans are freaks, and that they aren't all out in the streets throwing dead animals at people or covering themselves in blood to make a point.

Both very good posts. I guess my main point underlying other points is that every group of society has a extremist sect which is why I think labeling is insane, because it just leaves to stupid decisions (i.e. blood throwing). This is really just an expansion of my views on religion. It is extremely rare to find any group that is 100% right or one that is 100% wrong and fighting over it is ridiculous. Everybody knows this but does it anyway.

I want to make it clear that I don't hate vegans or vegetarians. I fully respect what they do. My only hope is that they are doing not to fulfill there own quests for belongingness to a group but because they truly believe in what they are doing.

I shall now retire from my soapbox so that this thread my continue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with you :) very good points! It's so true.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
I'm sorry brenden, for the long post and to get off of subject. I just feel I should try to clear things up for people that base their opinions on rumors. No offense to any one.
Not a problem Ghostshadow, I read your posts and learned a lot about alternatives and what I can make if I don't just want a salad.

Reaction score
I am not a vegetarian or anything like that but I don't eat that much meat as a personal preferance. Sometimes I think that certian meat taste bad. Like if I have a caesar I don't like chicken with it. The only meat that I really eat is seafood. I love shrimp and thats about all teh meat I eat. Sometimes I have a hamburger but not to often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 " iMac Core2Duo, 2GHz Processor, 1 Gig of RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.3
My weight. That's pretty much it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.