Real Time Stock Ticker Wont Work on any browser

Reaction score
I have a wierd problem.
I was an XP user till 15 days back, till i got my hands on a good powerbook G4(100GB HDD, 2GB Ram, 1.67 GHZ, 17")

Earlier on my XP machine , i used to log into my account and see my live stocks & do my trading. On my XP machine, this site used to work only with Internet Explorer & not with Opera, nor with Safari for windows nor with firefox.

Now that i've shifted to a MAC, i cant use any browser to log into their website.

Is there any Browser that mimics Internet Explorer or is based on that, so that i can get this working on my Mac??

I login on a daily basis & this is important to me...

Can anyone help me?

(BTW the website is http://mybroker.motilaloswal.com)
-----Just incase someone wants to see the source code or anything like that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
You could try looking up how to spoof the browser user agent to make the website think you are using internet explorer...but you'd have to somehow think of a way for it to only do it on that site.

OP
H
Reaction score
ya your right,,,maybe thats a way out.... i'll try...anyplace you would suggest i try???

BTW, does this mean that IE is superior to Safari & other browsers???

I'm really stuck without this... i hope there's a solution for it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
It does not, in any way mean that Internet Explorer is a better browser. This simply means that whoever coded the website put a little snippet in there to disable some of the page with any user agent NOT identifying itself as IE.

As far as an EASY way to spoof your user agent, I would suggest this:

http://www.celestialfrontiers.com/safari_enhancer.php

This is Safari Enhancer...it's a little dated, but it runs on OS X 10.4.x, and has a very simple user interface to choose which browser you want Safari to identify itself as. Try choosing IE 6 (Windows) and see if this solves your problem. Don't forget to quit Safari and restart it after making any changes in Safari Enhancer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It looks as though that's a paid service, correct?

I'd get in touch with whoever runs the service and ask them what the deal is...
Even if they don't support Safari, they should support Firefox. Some companies actually won't let employee's run IE due to security concerns, so they should offer a solution.

If all else fails, you could go for a virtualisation solution that would let you run IE for windows alongside your Mac apps...

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks for your help guys...
unfortunately nothing worked....
i tried to "tell" opera & safari to run like IE, no difference, when i click on "LOGIN" after entering my password, the screen just goes blank.
I've loaded IE for mac (version 5, the last before it was dis-continued), the site only partially loads on it... but once loaded, the real-time updates of stock prices does not happen.

Still trying...lets see what happens...
I've sent an email to the company & also the company who maiontains the site..hopefully they make some changes soon...

Reg. Virtualisation - I have a G4, so Virtual PC might be the only way to go... am checking that out..

Any new ideas...please share...

OP
H
Reaction score
ok, after a lot of reading.. i think it might be an Active-X problem..cause nothing seems to work... It works only on IE 5.5 or higher..
Just thinking out loud...is it possible to have another OS likle Ubuntu or something, that might work? i'll have to check if Ubuntu can handle IE6

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ok, after a lot of reading.. i think it might be an Active-X problem..cause nothing seems to work... It works only on IE 5.5 or higher..
Just thinking out loud...is it possible to have another OS likle Ubuntu or something, that might work? i'll have to check if Ubuntu can handle IE6

Active-X is only in Windows/IE and is the reason IE is so open to a lot of spyware on the net.

I was going to tell you to try Camino with Cami-Tools installed and try the IE6 setting in CamiTools as that has worked for me, but if it's Active-X, I doubt that will work either.

I would do some testing here but have no account with that service.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks.. am trying it out now... Only problem.. Cami-Tools is not available for download anymore... any links where i can get the last downloadable version of it.

I;m not usre if its Active-X or no.. will try it our...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks.. am trying it out now... Only problem.. Cami-Tools is not available for download anymore... any links where i can get the last downloadable version of it.

I;m not usre if its Active-X or no.. will try it our...

Looks like the new version of Camino broke CamiTools. Sorry. It worked so well for me in the past to on some IE only sites.

http://www.nadamac.de/camitools/index.php

Edit: They say it will still work but mess up some settings. You can get it and give it a try here.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28750

OP
H
Reaction score
i got camitools & tried it with camino 1.5, but it did not work...
now downloading camino 1.0.3 and then will check cami tools with this version...
crossing my fingers.. :)
thanks for all your help anyways....

if this does not work..
maybe i'll try another method...
i'll install some linux & then emulate IE on linux....maybe that works... i know its a long way out..but there has to be some way out....

OP
H
Reaction score
ok..tried both camino 1.0.3 & 1.5 with cami tools...nothing worked...
God knows why???

Do u think it will work with linux running??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really do not think Linux will work but try it if you can. I have a funny feeling they are using Active-X.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are many paid sites out there (particularly speciality sites) that will only work with IE. I have one we must use for work. Most of these do use ActiveX as their programmers only know windows and it is the easy way for them. I was able to get Opera to emulate IE enough to log in to the one we use, but am not able to go to most pages nor download the files we require.

Your best bet is probably going to be to install XP via Boot Camp or Parallels in order to access their site. Surely though, this is not the first time they have been asked about support on a Mac and hopefully you will get some sort of response back from them other than "We only support windows". This is the response I got from our subscribed service.

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks for all your help guys.... i have tried everything.,..mimicing opera, firefox and safari to run like IE, but nothing,.....now i finally called the company who hosts the site & they have confirmed that it is Active-X....
so i can do nothing now..hope they change it from their end....

Anyways i'm now trying to load kubuntu & then load IE on that..lets see if that works...
Also i can try Virtual PC..is that right?

I have a G4 powebook, so no bootcamp , parallels for me....am i right again?

Will keep you guys updated if anything happens..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you have a Power PC Mac you can try Virtual PC. It's slow but for just a site or two it would be ok.

OP
H
Reaction score
ya i guess thats the only way out now... i cant do anything else... i've tried IE 5 for mac but thats also not fully functional.
Thanks for all the help guys....
still trying to see what can be done...

Virtual PC maybe the only way out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.