I'm not a student...but my friend is!

Reaction score
So as the title states, I am currently not a student, but one of my very good friends is attending University. Can I order a MBP online and use his student ID to get the student discount? It just seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Also, which is better, 15" or 17" MBP? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
They dont check for anything online for a student id. You can basically pick a school and pretend to go there. I would look into the refurbs if I were you though, better discount, great product.

Reaction score
Ditto on XMARLTONX comment. I bought a new MBP last week thru the EDU store, and it never asked me for any proof. I planned on using my wifes info, since she is going to school, but Apple never asked for it.

Reaction score
i heard that they check with school system to see if the name is on there,and if its not thay charge u the difference or ask for thier discount money back and charged to ur card

Reaction score
i heard that they check with school system to see if the name is on there,and if its not thay charge u the difference or ask for thier discount money back and charged to ur card

LOL. Where did you hear that at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

I can't speak for anyone else here, but before I went back to school, I ordered several Apple edu-discounted products from the online store; none of them got "re-poed" in any shape, way, or form, even though I spoofed a school.

Of course, now I have nothing to worry about, back in school and all. :)

Reaction score
Technically let your friend buy the Macbook and then give it to you as a "gift". You then give him the unrelated "gift" of the price of the Macbook. That way legally, you're clear.

Reaction score

DATA PROTECTION ACT - They can not check without your permission.

Reaction score
Hi, I know this is a fairly old thread, but don't really know the netiquette yet about when to start a new thread.

Was just wondering, if someone did buy the mac with a discount and passed it on to a friend, then what if something goes wrong? I mean, would the mac be 'registered' in the student's name, and therefore it's only the student that can get a refund or an upgrade or anything like that?

I guess what I'm trying to ask, in a rather convoluted manner, is can the student just give the computer to the non-student after payment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Non-ethical as it may be (if it is at all)...as long as your friend doesn't open it and turn it on, it's not registered to him/her. If you're the one who completes the initial setup and registration with your info, you're the one the warranty applies to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Is it really fraud? If your child gets a discounted meal in a restaurant, you're not allowed to have a chicken finger? Nevermind... that was a really stupid comparison.

Reaction score
Like I said before, Apple doesnt check if you are a student. Even though my wife is a student, I did everything under my name. Has anyone ever been asked if they were a student?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I had to show a current Student I.D. when I bought my MacBook last year at the Apple store... But if you do it online, there's no proof neessary.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
They do check if you if purchase on line from the Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
no they don't.

I bought mine from a "non-apple store" apple retailer and they matched the educational discount without any ID :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 160Gb 256Mb Vram, OSX Leopard!, ViewSonic 20" Widescreen TFT
My Mum ordered my Macbook Pro for me as she is a student and we found that she could get better discount over the phone than through the web or apple store. She WAS asked for ID

it was faulty on arrival, and i made the call to apple about a replacement. They dealt with me without any issues, and even collected it from my work. All i told them was that the order was in my mums name. Im going to call them to get it delivered to my office too. Let you know how that goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

That's the terms you agree to when you purchase from the Educational Store. If you don't fall under those terms and still agree to them your breaking the agreement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.