iPhoto speed tips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
My wife is up to about 13,000 photos in her iPhoto library and it's really slowing things down. She's using a 2ghz Core Duo iMac with 2 gigs of ram and a 7200rpm 250gb hard drive. There's still a good 70 gigs free left on the hard drive. Any suggestions? She does a lot of shoots and postwork, so she likes to keep everything in one place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Empty the trash if there is anything in it.

Holding Alt+Option when you open iPhoto allows you to create a new library, which will have a fresh database. I like to have a library for each sport/season that I shoot so that no 1 library is too congested

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i would get an external hard drive and transfer all of the photos to that. it will free up a ton of space and make things way faster.

Reaction score
i would get an external hard drive and transfer all of the photos to that. it will free up a ton of space and make things way faster.

I don't know if it really will be that much faster if it always has to access the external hd...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.