How exactly do I use X11?

N

Nightblade

You know, considering X11 is a complicated program involving jargon, I'm surprised that I've never found anyone on the internet who's ever had a problem with it! But I do! I don't know how to run it! I think I might need something called X11 SDK first, but unfortunately, I don't have the official Panther CD (I got a Toasted copy of it from a friend, and please excuse me for mentioning illegal activity), so I don't know what I should do. To be specific, the procedure I'm trying to follow is from this page:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=MacOS

Near the end, they mention starting up XMMS from something called the command line in X11. But, I really don't know what that is. I don't know how to work the program, and I'd really like a brief tutorial or lesson (HelpViewer isn't clear enough for me), if that's alright.

One more thing to note. On that URL that I gave, the person mentioned that X11 AND X11 SDK are available off Apple. And, when I searched Google for "download X11 SDK", the only result I get is someone saying they downloaded X11 SDK off the Apple website. So, is that true? Because I've only been able to download X11.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
X11 is another windowing environment, that is available on almost all unix systems. One example of use of X11 is being log into another system and displaying the graphics of the other system on your system.

Have you searched the Apple web site. I have seen it there before, OS X 10.3 came out.

Once you have the X11 or is it Xcode loaded. Run the terminal application which, will bring up a unix window. In that window enter XMMS. If everything is installed properly, the XMMS application should run.

Reaction score
XMMS doesn't come with X11. Try Fink.
If you want to learn X11, find a good book on Linux. Also you can ask specific questions here. I or others can probably help you.

OP
N

Nightblade

Uhh...OK, thanks. I have Fink, but I don't think I can use it without the X11 SDK. But that's OK, since I think my friend can get me a copy of the Developer Tools CD so I can install X11 SDK. But, thanks anyway.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A book on Linux will teach yo more about Linux than X windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.