MacBook Battery Life

Reaction score
Anyone know what the battery life of a MacBook is on full charge just web browsing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Depends on whether u r talking wired or wireless!

but for me I get about 2.5 to 3 hrs on wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ummm... yeah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Depends on whether u r talking wired or wireless!

but for me I get about 2.5 to 3 hrs on wireless.

Same here. Doesn't Apple claim 6 hour battery life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Key Word is CLAIM ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
6hrs maybe with wireless an BT turned off. i'm with Mina though, 2.5 - 3 hrs using the wireless.

Reaction score
1 major problem with the Macbook IMO is that there's no way to automatically set the brightness to a lower level when using battery power, something that is commonplace in PC laptops. So if you crank up the brightness when connected to the AC adaptor, don't forget to crank it back down when on battery power. I can notice the estimated hour left increases quite a bit when I decrease the brightness on my Macbook. With wifi and BT on, I get around 3 hours battery life. With BT off, low brightness, wifi on, speaker off, I sometimes see the estimated battery life being 5 hours.

Reaction score
I get 4 hours out of mineeeee. Which is the best battery life on a laptop I've ever had (coming from moi, the owner of an ancient HP Pavillion that ran down from 100% to 5% in 50 minutes, pfft).

Reaction score
I get 4 hours out of mineeeee. Which is the best battery life on a laptop I've ever had (coming from moi, the owner of an ancient HP Pavillion that ran down from 100% to 5% in 50 minutes, pfft).
You're right. 3 hours doesn't sound great, but many PC laptops don't fare much better either (exception is Sony TX series). However, some PC laptops can be configured to accept a second battery in the drive bay (usually sacrificing the optical drive), boosting battery life into a more desirable number. Alas Apple's design team doesn't seem to think like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
You can configure your macbook so that when your using your battery the brightness is turned down. Go to system preferences, energy savings select battery, select options and then just check the option for reduce the brightness of this built in display when using this power souce.

For me, I get about 4.5 - 5.5 hrs of battery life when I'm just surfing the internet with my bluetooth turned off and maybe something like itunes, mail, stickies and neooffice open...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I've had over 4 hours without using wireless, but I think that's reduced slightly. I leave it in sleep mode when I'm not using it which uses battery.

The most I've ever had was about 4.5 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
With mine i get about 3.5-4 hours. I have my screen to dim automatically when on battery, but usually just lower the brightness myself also to increase the battery life. With auto dim i get about 3:15 with my brightness set to about 1/3 of full i can get over 4 hours. So i would say with my airport off and my screen dimmed as low as i can get it then i could get close to 6 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
im confident that my 3rd generation blackbook would get 6 hours if i turned screen brightness down and only word processed or web browsed

i get about 4 hours easily out of it when using heavy applications....mostly having google earth, adium, itunes, safari, ical, mail all open for that whole period

im quite worried about plugging it back into the mains when its not complete flat though.....

is it healthy to plug a 40% macbook battery into the mains?

ive always been cautious with stuff like my MX1000 battery, are macbooks the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your macbook uses a Lithium Ion battery. These batteries like to be recharged in short frequent charges rather then infrequent full charges. They don't have any memory but Li Ion batteries would rather have 5 20% charges rather then 1 100% charge. If you google Li Ion batteries you'll get a lot of info. Not to mention apple has a page on their support section explaining all about how to get the most out of your battery and how to prolong it's life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
1 major problem with the Macbook IMO is that there's no way to automatically set the brightness to a lower level when using battery power, something that is commonplace in PC laptops. So if you crank up the brightness when connected to the AC adaptor, don't forget to crank it back down when on battery power. I can notice the estimated hour left increases quite a bit when I decrease the brightness on my Macbook. With wifi and BT on, I get around 3 hours battery life. With BT off, low brightness, wifi on, speaker off, I sometimes see the estimated battery life being 5 hours.

Mine does it automatically, i dint even set anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine does it automatically, i dint even set anything.

Yeah mine does the same thing. Under system preferences and energy saver there is the option. I usually lower the brightness my self also if I know I'm going to be using the laptop for an extended period of time without charging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/4grm/200ghd/256mvideo
my mbp is brand spanking new like 2 days...on a fully charged battery with wireless on, it's good for abou 2 1/2 hours....really sucks in my opinion...as I wait to pick up my kids from their weekend activities, instead of sitting in the car, i sit in the building and have to use my power plug after 2 hours or less since i used the batter prior to getting to the building...the building super keeps coming by and asking me to unplug as it's costing mone...:) I'd like to throw the $0.10 it would cost them and as if he comes from his pocket...but had to think about the kids....lol....would be nice to have battery last more then the 2.5 hrs.

Reaction score
I've been getting close to 4.5-5 hours out of mine while using wireless Internet and emailing with Entourage. So the MacBook Pros are only getting 2.5 hours on battery? That's not any better then when I used to have my PowerBook G4....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.