Icon(s) moving

Reaction score
I just bought a new 17in. macbook pro w/hi res display etc.

I like having my hard drive icon set to the left side of the screen but whenever I restart it seems to go back to the top right side.

Whats goin on and how can I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
When your Mac boots, it mounts volumes as they become available, from the top-right downward. You can move them, but during the boot process, they will still be mounted in the order they appear to the system.

If you like, you can hide your hard disk icons in the Finder's Preferences window, and make an alias of your hard disk(s) and put those wherever you like. However, if you ever add another hard disk, it will not mount on the desktop and you'll have to access it through the Finder sidebar or the Computer window.

OP
A
Reaction score
Dang, that sucks. No way to config it in a simpler way to have it just stay on the left side or wherever it last was, huh??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Dang, that sucks. No way to config it in a simpler way to have it just stay on the left side or wherever it last was, huh??
Nope, this ain't Windows. Things are on the "right" side with a Mac.
;):D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what is it that you're trying to accomplish (besides personal aesthetics)?

do you often start finder by opening the HD icon? if so, why not just use finder on the dock? or do you use it for any other reasons?

Reaction score
what is it that you're trying to accomplish (besides personal aesthetics)?

do you often start finder by opening the HD icon? if so, why not just use finder on the dock? or do you use it for any other reasons?

What eric said with using the finder on othe dock and you could put the dock on the left side of your desktop.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yep, just like i've got here:

note the complete absence of icons on the desktop also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.