• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.avi and quicktime

Reaction score
What components do i need to play .avi files in quicktime? I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Perian.

There are just plane some AVIs that won't play in QT. There are to many codecs that can be stuffed into the AVI container and some of them have no Mac counterparts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
What components do i need to play .avi files in quicktime? I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to work.

Perian, as suggested previously, Divx, 3ivx, Xvid, just google each of those with "os x" and you should be able to find them. Perian has a good bunch of them anyway. Warning: Sometime the 3ivx codec causes issues with playback just quitting in FrontRow, so if that occurs, delete that one.

Brian

Reaction score
i was having trouble getting my avi files from windows to play on my mac and downloaded xvid (as suggested by the quicktime site) and that didnt work. I just downloaded Perian and it was fast, simple, and it worked right away! Thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.