Hmm...which iMac to get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None...yet =]
Hey guys! My name's Izzy, I'm a teenager down from Indy who's thinkin about switchin into the Mac world :Cool:

I've been a PC guy for a long time, and I've never messed a ton around with Macs. I'm a musician, and I do recording and sound programs, so a few years ago I bought a Dell Powerhouse with 3ghz, 2.5GB of DDR2 ram, and a 19" CRT monitor...yeah, sounds nice, but now I'm thinkin of switchin :Mischievous:

I've always LOVED iMacs...especially the G4 version...here's a picture.
title-imacg4-on082504.gif

Ahhh, glorious, aint it?

Anyways, here's my question.
The music software I used isn't too advanced...it's called BiasDeck, it came with a soundcard I have called the Lexicon Omega. I really don't want to buy a new Mac, because I don't really have the cash. I'm gonna see if I can sell my computer for around $400 (I originally purchased it for $1,400), and save up money to possibly get a used Mac. I LOVE the G4 models, but here's one of my questions. Is there much of a difference between the G4 iMacs and the new style G5s? Or should I save up for a long time and get myself an Intel? I want something that's gonna be fast, equal to the PC i'm sellin...I might upgrade in the future though to CuBase or some more advanced software..

Which iMac should I be aiming for? The G4, G5, or the Intel? And is there much difference inbetween them all? Or should I even aim for an iMac? Also, do you guys know of any websites that deal with used/refurb Macs for a good price?

Thanks guys :Cool:
~Izzy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Honestly, I would save for an Intel iMac if you can wait a little while longer. Intel Macs are the future, and no matter what Apple says officially, the PowerPC chips are, while quite capable, on the other side of a gap Apple has leaped over- the Intel switch.

If I were you I would get a used Core Duo iMac. Better yet, save up for a brand new iMac if you can survive on your current computer for a little while longer. If the G5s had just been introduced, I would say the G4 iMac would be perfectly fine- but G4 to G5 wasn't as big as G5 to Intel.

My two cents. In the end, there's no wrong choice- an older version will need to be replaced sooner, but you will have spent less money on it, so the replacement could be partially funded by the money you saved. It all evens out.

Reaction score
Hey guys! My name's Izzy, I'm a teenager down from Indy who's thinkin about switchin into the Mac world :Cool:

I've been a PC guy for a long time, and I've never messed a ton around with Macs. I'm a musician, and I do recording and sound programs, so a few years ago I bought a Dell Powerhouse with 3ghz, 2.5GB of DDR2 ram, and a 19" CRT monitor...yeah, sounds nice, but now I'm thinkin of switchin :Mischievous:

I've always LOVED iMacs...especially the G4 version...here's a picture.
title-imacg4-on082504.gif

Ahhh, glorious, aint it?

Anyways, here's my question.
The music software I used isn't too advanced...it's called BiasDeck, it came with a soundcard I have called the Lexicon Omega. I really don't want to buy a new Mac, because I don't really have the cash. I'm gonna see if I can sell my computer for around $400 (I originally purchased it for $1,400), and save up money to possibly get a used Mac. I LOVE the G4 models, but here's one of my questions. Is there much of a difference between the G4 iMacs and the new style G5s? Or should I save up for a long time and get myself an Intel? I want something that's gonna be fast, equal to the PC i'm sellin...I might upgrade in the future though to CuBase or some more advanced software..

Which iMac should I be aiming for? The G4, G5, or the Intel? And is there much difference inbetween them all? Or should I even aim for an iMac? Also, do you guys know of any websites that deal with used/refurb Macs for a good price?

Thanks guys :Cool:
~Izzy

Get the Intel. It's faster than the G4 and G5 combined.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None...yet =]
Thanks guys!

How much $$ do you guys think a used Intel would run for?

And also, which processor of the three would probably be comparable to the computer I have right now? I think the G4s were coming to an end when I purchased my PC

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

How much $$ do you guys think a used Intel would run for?

And also, which processor of the three would probably be comparable to the computer I have right now? I think the G4s were coming to an end when I purchased my PC

The intel would probably have a better Processor than your PC. You probably wouldn't find a Used Intel iMac. BUT, if you have 1,050 dollars to spare you can buy a refurb 20-inch directly from apple.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None...yet =]
Alright, I'll look into going for an Intel-chipper

What are all the rumors I keep hearing about a new iMac coming out soon? Is it going to be much different than the current model?

Reaction score
Alright, I'll look into going for an Intel-chipper

What are all the rumors I keep hearing about a new iMac coming out soon? Is it going to be much different than the current model?

It's not a hardware upgrade (except maybe graphics, which only matters if you're a gamer) it's more of a design change. Anyways, It's only a rumor and for all we know it could just mean a new color or two. In any case, if you can't afford a brand new iMac, then the upgrade won't affect you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
The refurb 20" would be my choice. There will always be new hardware (though new designs might lower the price of refurbs- and the new designs [again, if there are any] could very well come out while you're saving. If nothing happens, don't worry about it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None...yet =]
Thanks guys =]

I've come to a decision...I want to make a "fair exchange" if that makes sense, in buying a Mac...instead of getting something newer or fancier, I want to get something that's equivalent to what I run right now, because my computer now runs everything fine, I just really love how Macs work =]

So here's my computer specs...
It's a Dell Dimension 8400, 3ghz Pentium 4 with Hyper-threading...and with a bunch of DDR2 ram...I don't know if that means anything to you guys or if you know anything about PC hardware, but which iMac would be comparable to that? I'm looking at a 20" iMac G4, would that be similar in speed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.