What CAN I Do?

Reaction score
Well i'm 99.94% sure i will have a macbook by the middle of august, so i figured i have no use for my Dell anymore. The only problem is, is that i bought my Dell in December for about $750, so i'm not just looking to give it away or sell it cheap because i want to get my money's worth. Does anyone have any advice to what i can do with it to not be wasting the money i spent on it?:$

-Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
use it as a paper weight.

no in all seriousness... you could sell it on ebay. my friend recently sold a computer that he's had for some time on ebay for something like $1200. granted it was a very nice system, but you can set a reserve if you dont get what you want on ebay. or keep it for gaming so you dont have to go buy parallels and another copy of windows or something.

Reaction score
I'd use it to play with other OSs. There are several UNIX and Linux versions that claim to be for the average home user (PC-BSD, Freespire, etc). I'd see just how far they can go with that claim and nothing would be better than using on a common system such as Dell. Plus, you can learn a great deal along the way without blowing up your "real/production/needed" machine.

Personally, I've had issues with all of the "easy" distros, mainly due to missing/incompatible drivers, especially for WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Run GeexBox on it and use it as a media player, connect it to a TV and Amp and you're set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ebay it. its time with you has come

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you don't use it to play with another OS, and/or to use as a server then i'm with kgeier...

ebay (or craigslist!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I'd also use it to try out some form of Linux. Or sell it for money towards an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Yeah, if I had a relatively-capable PC laying around I would install Linux/use for gaming. If those don't interest you, and you don't need a home server or whatever, sell it and get some $ back!

Reaction score
I know what you could do. If you are so poisoned with Mac propaganda why don't you just use Dream Linux on your superior Dell. Dream Linux is exactly the same as OSX (Basically Apple stole the Linux architecture and sold it as OSX which is a complete contradiction of what Linux is about).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I know what you could do. If you are so poisoned with Mac propaganda why don't you just use Dream Linux on your superior Dell. Dream Linux is exactly the same as OSX (Basically Apple stole the Linux architecture and sold it as OSX which is a complete contradiction of what Linux is about).

BAN! This guy is here to hate on apple and **** people off.

OP
octaviooo
Reaction score

yeah you are so right, that is why this is the first time i have heard of Dream Linux

great advice ****head

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Well i'm 99.94% sure i will have a macbook by the middle of august, so i figured i have no use for my Dell anymore. The only problem is, is that i bought my Dell in December for about $750, so i'm not just looking to give it away or sell it cheap because i want to get my money's worth. Does anyone have any advice to what i can do with it to not be wasting the money i spent on it?:$

-Sam
I'd keep it for awhile, at least until you're reasonably sure the Mac is for you. It works, right? If you've never owned a Mac, you might want to keep the Dell as a backup of sorts. When you get the MacBook, use it exclusively and return to the Dell only when you need to do it. That way you get into the Mac, but still have the proverbial safety net of a computer that does the things you need it to do.

Maybe you'll never use the Dell once you get the MacBook. Alternatively maybe you'll want to return to a Windows machine. If you get rid of the Dell and a month later decide the Mac isn't for you, then you have the problem of getting another PC.

Just my two bits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 1.83GHz, 1.25GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ipod 30GB Video

Before you ban this confused person, you should post his email address, haha.

Reaction score

You have some of your...uh..."facts" wrong.

In 1985 when Steve Jobs was "released" from Apple, he started NeXT, a computer company that built NEXTSTEP - an object-oriented OS built from BSD UNIX. During the years after that Apple struggled to produce a new/working OS (they didn't simply want to update System 9). When Jobs returned to Apple, he got them to buy NeXT and Apple used that OS as the base for Mac OS X. None of this has any thing to do with Linux.

I love Linux in the corporate world, but for home use it's still not ready. There are far too many devices not supported in Linux (and I blame the device makers for not providing drivers).

As far as "stealing" - all the Linux/UNIX systems have their roots in AT&T's UNIX from the 1960s, so they are all "guilty of stealing" as you might say.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Personally, I'd keep it. Use it to play Windows games - or use it as a media server (or a plain old file server for that matter). There's no reason a Windows machine and a Mac can't complement one another.

Another good point raised here is running Linux. Throw a copy of Ubuntu on it and learn something new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.