Very Slow startup after installing Logitech MX1000

Reaction score
Today I installed a Logitech MX1000 laser mouse I had left over from my previous PC. Everything seemed fine but now my startup time has jumped from under one minute to over 3. I uninstalled the mouse and disconnected it but it didn't make any difference. My Imac runs great once it's up and going. Any ideas?

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, fireman325.

Maybe you have bits left behind. If I remember correctly the Logitech driver installed a pref pane in the System Prefs and a Logitech daemon which will still be in your start up items in your user account. You'll probably have to do a Spotlight search for those, if you can't readily see them, drag them to the trash. Restart (because the system will invariably tell you the item is in use) and then do a Secure Empty Trash.

(Besides, because of this mouse's age, I'd be very much surprised if the driver is Universal Binary so this means the driver might be trying gracefully to run under Rosetta).

If after getting rid of those bits the Mac is still slow, you might need to download MainMenu and clean out the System (Deep Clean) and Users cache.

If you really want to use that mouse, you might want to look into third-party drivers as Logitech's Mac support is utterly atrocious. SteerMouse comes to mind.

Reaction score
The Logitech mouse software installs Unsanity's Application Enhancer (APE). A lot of people (myself included) won't run APE because of stability issues. I don't remember if Logitech's software uninstalls it. You can search for "Application Enhancer" on your machine or Unsanity has a standalone download that should be able to uninstall it.

Reaction score
I have a logictech mx700, which runs using a program called logitech control center. It certainly slows down my startup, by at least 5 seconds, which on a machine that was nearly instant before hand, I notice. It's not great software, certainly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
The Logitech mouse software installs Unsanity's Application Enhancer (APE). A lot of people (myself included) won't run APE because of stability issues. I don't remember if Logitech's software uninstalls it. You can search for "Application Enhancer" on your machine or Unsanity has a standalone download that should be able to uninstall it.

Seconded.

I have a logictech mx700, which runs using a program called logitech control center. It certainly slows down my startup, by at least 5 seconds, which on a machine that was nearly instant before hand, I notice. It's not great software, certainly.

Uninstall LCC and follow Dylang's instructions. I had to remove APE in Single user mode at the Unix prompt. Needless to say, I wasn't happy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since I have seen this several times, just wanted to ask what type of stability issues people are having running Unsanity software.

My system boots to the desktop in 30 seconds flat - up from 28 when I first brought it home. Then I wait for the following to load:

Wireless network to connect
Application Enhancer
Logitech's LCC for my MX Revolution
Fan Control
Shapeshifter
Windowshade X
Yahoo's widget engine - Weather widget starting automatically, incl'g donwloading current info
Lab Tick
EyeTV Helper
Focus
Overflow
Quicksilver
Main Menu
Superduper
1Password
Opera -opens home page here at mac-forums and is the last to load
edit: the new SuperDrive update is also starting on every boot also, will have to figure out why Apple has put this in the startup menu

While on my windows machine I would never have this many programs loading on startup as it would take at least 1-2 minutes for all this stuff to load, the above takes from 28-32 seconds max on my MBP (time is primariy determined by how long it takes the wireless network). I find this time to be totally acceptable for all I have loading at startup and have never had any issues with these programs. edit: - Application enhancer was one of the first programs installed 5-6 months ago, has now been through all the OS X updates and have seen no issues related to their software.

I have found that the first boot after the installation of any item that loads at startup does cause an extended startup. But not so on further boots.
My question prior to removing anything would be, did it occur on only one boot, or have you tested it again?

edit: have tested multiple boot times just now - most recent 46 seconds total from pressing the power button to Opera open and reading the forum. Man, I say can't beat that with a stick, and certainly not with XP, Vista, nor any flavor of Linux I have ever tried with that much junk loading at startup.

I also believe, MHC is probably correct in running MainMenu. I do this religously, (part of old windows habit in making sure my systems run as smoothly as possible) and believe this may help a good bit. Although, I have not done any testing of a system with it vs one without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
My stability issue was that the desktop would freeze a few seconds after starting - the mouse pointer moved and the keyboard cancelled the screensaver, but all other input was ignored. Booting into Single User mode and removing Application Enhancer.framework from /Library/Application Frameworks solved it.

Uninstalling Logitech Control Center didn't uninstall APE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.