Use iPhone as a modem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Anyone know if you'll be able to use the iPhone as a modem (like I can do with my Moto SLVR)?

Reaction score
I can't see why I would ever want to use an iphone as a modem, but clearly you have a need. Though I seriously doubt that you can.

Reaction score
I can't see why I would ever want to use an iphone as a modem, but clearly you have a need. Though I seriously doubt that you can.

Surfing the Internet on a large screen is still better than that iPhone LCD. So it's actually a pretty good question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think they will allow tethering. Also on EDGE it would not be a very pleasant experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
With Edge it wouldn't be a very enjoyable experience...

But with 3G... you can bet you'll be able to tether.

Reaction score
Surfing the Internet on a large screen is still better than that iPhone LCD. So it's actually a pretty good question.

I still dont' see it to be honest, if you have a laptop (large screen) you can just get a modem card....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nobody on here really knows. You'll have to wait until people get their hands on it in two days before that question can be answered.

It's up to Apple whether they want to add the functionality, though I highly doubt they will. I'm sure Apple would much rather prefer you to use the iPhone's browser than to use it as a modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I still dont' see it to be honest, if you have a laptop (large screen) you can just get a modem card....

With a modem card you would have to buy a separate and more expensive data plan. Tethering your phone is a kind of workaround. Because of this, it cuts into phone company sales, so they have "restrictions" against it which is mostly a lot of strong language and threats that don't amount to much.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
fleurya is right on those items. Tethering would allow me not to buy a USB (I've got a Macbook) modem card and a data plan. Since the iPhone has unlimited data it would already be part of my monthly charges. I've used my SLVR L7 (via bluetooth) a few times and while it's not fast it's there in case I need it. The main thing I wanted it for was to post to my blog. I can just type an entry in MarsEdit and connect and hit send and then disconnect. Guess I'll find out on Friday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what you mean. I connect my Macbook to my 8525 via Bluetooth and use the 3G network. It's great when there are no WiFi spots available and it just uses my phone's unlimited data plan

Now that I look at it, the iPhone just seems to pale in comparison to my 8525 in terms of features and functionality. Sure, the iPhone has a pretty interface and some neat stuff like MultiTouch, but it can't do half the things my 8525 can. And to top it off, I can make my 8525 function essentially the same as the iPhone, so I don't see any incentive in getting the iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd imagine even if the iPhone was 3G, AT&T would have asked apple to prevent tethering...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Not to mention, tethering I'm sure would have upped the amount of money we'd be paying for our internet service. I think AT&T's tethering plans CAN go as high as the $70 range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Not really. Tethering has never been sanctioned by Cingular, but people do it anyway. Either a phone is capable of doing it out of the box or hackers find a way. I'm sure the iPhone will be no different. There's a significant amount of people dedicated to this sort of thing. Someone will find a way to make it happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, but your blanket statements are very irritating. You just say something as if it's definitive. Yet you provide no evidence to backup your claims. For all we know, you're some 30 year old sitting in your mom's basement getting the jollies by messing around with us.

You stated that customers are going to be limited to one per person, but Apple just announced that customers will be limited to two per person. Now I'm more inclined to believe Apple about its own product. So if you were wrong about this, I'm skeptical about everything else you have to say about the iPhone.

So either backup your statements, or stop making blunt statements that are messing with some members here.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but your blanket statements are very irritating. You just say something as if it's definitive. Yet you provide no evidence to backup your claims. For all we know, you're some 30 year old sitting in your mom's basement getting the jollies by messing around with us.

You stated that customers are going to be limited to one per person, but Apple just announced that customers will be limited to two per person. Now I'm more inclined to believe Apple about its own product. So if you were wrong about this, I'm skeptical about everything else you have to say about the iPhone.

So either backup your statements, or stop making blunt statements that are messing with some members here.

I don't care if you are irritated. I do not need to back up any statement at all. I hope you feel like a big man putting someone else down. is it that you feel left out because you have no information other than what you see on the internet. I have first hand knowledge of the phone and i have already used it. I am not here to prove anything. i just wanted to give some information. Do what you want with it. I don't care.

As for the 2 per person - where was this announced? Apple is only one side of the coin. oh but you knew that already because you are the big internet forum guy. Feel better about yourself. Your insecurities don't need to be posted in the forums.

Funny how you quote the "truth" and show nothing to backup your statement. Pot calling the kettle black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I'm sorry, but numerous well-known tech reviewers have already answered that there is NOT tethering capability on the iPhone. Not to mention that the BT profiles are currently limited to headset and hands-free only, which would make tethering quite difficult (without a cable).

I am far more likely to believe a respected tech reviewer who actually has the device in his observations than I am someone who makes claims without a source of some kind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.