OSX equipment question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi. I just started using mac at school and have been looking for an answer to this question. As my login name suggest I'm a little wornout on the subject.
I've noticed they sell the OSX operating system separate from the equipment.

I would like to run mac on a system that has dual-8800gtx cards with probably
8 processors and at least 8gigs of DDR3. Is this possible?

Don't want to offend anybody but some places say you can run custom equipment and others say you can't. Just figured I'd come to a community that would know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can only run OSX on Apples Hardware. There are hacks around this, but they are just that, hacks. Your success in making them work will depend on your skill level, but you won't find any help on this forum, sorry.

Also the OSX EULA says you can only run it on Apple hardware as well.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks

From what I'm reading I can't even upgrade my video card. I'm not interested in hacks. I shouldn't have to go through that trouble. I guess I'll wait to see if apple will upgrade there equipment before the october release. At least I think they'll have a new system in october. I just can't pay that price for equipment that old. A shame really, because I pretty much hate windows and OSX looks like its a nice system.

OP
W
Reaction score
Eula?

I just was wondering if you actually beleive EULA's are legal? I'm sure toyota doesn't want me to put a chevy bigblock in a camry but they can't stop me. They aren't actually legal. When you purchase something it is yours. That's why all those sites are still up and running. Thats also why microsoft has never tested so-called infractions of there EULA. The case would lose automatically.
Just thought I'd let you know.
I like the mac OS. Very nice:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Well the EULA is a legal agreement. It's the End User Liscence Agreement. You have to agree with that in order to install.

Toyota may not sue you for putting a chevy bigblock in to your camry, but try to get any warrenty work done and they will try their best to find out if the bigblock is the cause and then your up the creek without a paddle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you serious? Toyota doesn't care what engine you put in your car at all. You are buying the hardware, Apple doesn't care what parts you put in your Mac either. Don't confuse hardware with software, they are different.

The EULA is perfectly legal under US law. You are not buying the software, you are buying the license to use it with certain pre-set restrictions. How much you choose to follow those restrictions is up to you, and boils down to a question of personal ethics. You may not like them or agree with them, but that doesn't make them any less valid.

Well the EULA is a legal agreement. It's the End User Liscence Agreement. You have to agree with that in order to install.

So click "NO" and enjoy not using the software.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And if you click YES, you agree to all that is in that EULA and it's totally legal for Apple, Microsoft to have that agreement and enforce it.

You want OSX buy a Mac. A Mac is not OSX but runs OSX. You don't want a Mac, Run Windows XP.

OP
W
Reaction score
So click "NO" and enjoy not using the software.

You want OSX buy a Mac. A Mac is not OSX but runs OSX. You don't want a Mac, Run Windows XP.

Wow. calm down. First I already enjoy using the equipment at school.
Second I would buy a mac but I am looking at building for generation five machines. That means I have to have 8800's. Sorry, but I can't fix that one.

Third. I will use copyright protection. In developing games with an end user license agreement I am aware that anybody that wants to can create a no-cd patch and there is nothing I can do about it. Many of these sites list the laws right on there front page. Apparently you can do anything with your own software and hardware you want to. You just can't give there programs away. That's why these sites can't be shut down. At least in the case of windows codecs most companies try to include them as a non-U.S. install, but most of the time the download is still from a U.S. site. If you want to be the first person to legally challenge it go right ahead. But pleases realize I'll be working in this industry and probably like the idea of someone messing with my software even less than you do.

This is my polite way of asking you not to jump on me just because the rest of the world sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, your upset because we are "jumping on you" for you advocating breaking the law?

WOW!

M

MacHeadCase

I suggest you stick with the communities that tell ya all those nifty lil' illegal things. You won't get any answers here.

You should have read with a bit more care the forum rules before posting this thread:

Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.