Change of PHOTOSHOP machine...

Reaction score
I'm quite a frequent user of the photoshop on my Acer computer & until recently has been very very interested to get a MacBook.

I would like any comments regarding the difference of using Photoshop from windows & mac;ease of usage, color, geeting used to a single-mouse button, menu.... Anybody body out there who has experienced this switch?..

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
I'm quite a frequent user of the photoshop on my Acer computer & until recently has been very very interested to get a MacBook.

I would like any comments regarding the difference of using Photoshop from windows & mac;ease of usage, color, geeting used to a single-mouse button, menu.... Anybody body out there who has experienced this switch?..

thanks

you don't need to worry about the single button mouse issue because you can set your mac up to use a two button mouse, and PS on Mac gives you the same right-click menus as PS in Windows

operation across the two platforms is virtually identical... you should have no problems whatsoever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.33, 2Gig DDR2 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB

thanks

I recently went from Windows to the Mac. Adobe allowed me to deactivate my CS2 on the PC and for six dollars they shipped me the Mac version of the same program in a box. It works very well, and I intend to move up to CS3 quite soon, which I found in the trial version extremely fast on my iMac.

There is no problem at all with the mouse. I have the "Mighty Mouse" two button, and it can be configured in preferences to do about anything. The right-click works very well.

I have found it quite easy to make the change to the Mac in most things Photoshop. The menu bar is moved, the operating field is open to the desktop, and some few other changes.

I was unable to take my CorelDraw to the Mac, and my all time favorite vector drawing program Xara Extreme is only on the PC. It pretty much is Adobe Illustrator for the Mac.

With some hesitation I installed Paralells on my Mac to allow me to run a few Windows programs like Xara and a Web Editor I like very much. To my great surprise I found the combination is terrific to use. I am able to draw in Xara Exteme and easily use the drawings in Mac's Photoshop and other programs seamlessly. You will need more memory for all this of course. I have 2 Gigabytes and it seems to be enough for my purposes.

The combination is unbeatable, I think. I am very glad I made the change now.

Card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
and if the 'open to the desktop' nature of Mac Photoshop is hard to deal with (it was for me), there's this hand little prog: http://www.johnhaney.com/backdrop/

it's basically a tiny program that puts up a blank background (any colour)... so if I don't wanna see my desktop behind Photoshop, I fire this up first... works for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and if the 'open to the desktop' nature of Mac Photoshop is hard to deal with (it was for me), there's this hand little prog: http://www.johnhaney.com/backdrop/

it's basically a tiny program that puts up a blank background (any colour)... so if I don't wanna see my desktop behind Photoshop, I fire this up first... works for me

nicholast7
Very nice little program.

I discovered after a bit that I could just click on one of the three buttons at the bottom of the toolbar "Full screen mode with Menu" and "Full screen". The middle button puts a grey background with the menu bar intact, and the third is a black screen with the option bar. There are keyboard equivalents for this I gather, but it is easy to just click the buttons. It makes working within Photoshop much easier for me without the distracting desktop.

Card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, that should have been addressed to Moggs.

Also, in the process of writing that I realized that you can just hit the "F" key to cycle through the screen modes.

card

OP
N
Reaction score
right.. thanks for the enormous help, guys. probably i wont understand a single thing you guys said until i have tried it myself..lol. But it sure is a good starter.

with all the help I should be getting a MacBook at the end of september. Because I will be leaving Europe (im in the UK at the moment), so i could save a couple of hundreds on the tax reclaim..=D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right.. thanks for the enormous help, guys. probably i wont understand a single thing you guys said until i have tried it myself..lol. But it sure is a good starter.

with all the help I should be getting a MacBook at the end of september. Because I will be leaving Europe (im in the UK at the moment), so i could save a couple of hundreds on the tax reclaim..=D

nicholast7
You might consider waiting for the October release of Leopard, the new Apple operating system due in that month. Although the upgrade cost is only $129 (US).

In any case, you should have no real difficulty moving from Windows to Mac, and you will be amazed at the grace and simplicity of the Apple operating system. In fact, I found that the only difficulty I had in the change over was coming to believe that Mac operations could be so simple compared to those of Windows.

Card

OP
N
Reaction score
nicholast7
You might consider waiting for the October release of Leopard, the new Apple operating system due in that month. Although the upgrade cost is only $129 (US).

Is this Leopard sort of like Vista?.. as in a new operating system & Im curious what advantages or disadvantages it beings with it.. (ops.. sorry to be asking this in the wrong tread..=p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Is this Leopard sort of like Vista?.. as in a new operating system...
Yes & No. Apple is surely improving the underlying OS and we've seen some of the treats they are going to release for the users and tools for the developers to make even cooler applications for the users. Still, this is not a rewrite from the ground up as Vista apparently was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.