Should I Be Worried? Bringing Macbook thru Airport Security

Reaction score
so i have to bring my macbook with me thru airport security..

i know that all the magnetic xrays or whatever say that they are safe for laptops but im really paranoid that its going to mess something up..like the display or just something!

am i being irrational or are my worries warranted?

does anyone know more about this subject in detail?
or have any experiences to share?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
It's fine. I've had plenty of laptops go through the x-ray machine and come out fine. One tip: make sure you can easily access the laptop. They have you pull it out and put it in a separate bin rather than go through with your carry-on bag. My laptop backpack (the "Metro" model from Ogio) has a nice zipper-sleeve on the back so I can get it out within a few seconds, very handy. Also, I would suggest buying a case (Speck or Techshell), a sleeve (such as a Foof bag), or at least some kind of protector (MacStyle or InvisibleShield) so that your laptop won't run the risk of getting scratched.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They may also ask you to turn the machine on. So it might not be a bad idea to let it sleep, already booted up before you go through security, since there's no Power LED and you have to wait for the screen to come up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
CWA is right. Put it on sleep...and put a readable CD in the drive as well. I was asked to run mine back in September last year when I flew to Belgium. (This also goes for portable CD players too...if anyone still uses those! ;) )

Reaction score
Ok...Unless you are in some 1960's south American airport? you wont have problem. Most Airlines will want to see the laptop working and you would be a fool to try and stop them. you might NEVER EVER fly again. Airports are not the place for mood swings !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell me about it. In 2005 I went through security with a box cutter in my back pocket (accidentally). When I discovered what was making me beep...I held it up and said "You need to search me"...the TSA employees laughed at that, and treated me pretty nicely for an idiot. I ended up giving them all copies of a special novelty pen I was handing out with the big print on it "EXPLODING PEN"...I saw that they were still being used there last year as desk pens.

Remember to treat those people with respect as you go through...they do have a crappy crappy job. :p

Reaction score
Remember to treat those people with respect as you go through...they do have a crappy crappy job. :p[/QUOTE]

Really...try telling that to UK Citizens when they arrive in USA
trust me,....... they are treated badly ..by morons who should be in special needs homes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sheer volume of people they see each day...it'll drive ya spammy. If you take a cheerful demeanor with anyone and not treat them like a personal inconvenience, you'll have a better day and so will they.

OP
M
Reaction score
CWA is right. Put it on sleep...and put a readable CD in the drive as well. I was asked to run mine back in September last year when I flew to Belgium. (This also goes for portable CD players too...if anyone still uses those! ;) )

why should i put a readable cd in the drive???
what benefit will that give me?

also why would they make u run the computer? iv never seen them make other passengers with laptops do this

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also why would they make u run the computer? iv never seen them make other passengers with laptops do this

To make sure that it's actually a computer and not a decoy disguising a bomb. The reason I suggested this is that every single time I've been through security since 9/11 with a laptop, pager, PDA or any other electronic device they have ALWAYS required me to turn it on and show them that it's working. They don't make you wait until it's booted up, just long enough to see that it displays something (anything) on the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz powerbook g4, 1gb RAM, radeon mobility 9700, combo drive
i've never been hassled to turn on my computer at any time while going through security (i fly from orange county to oakland and back at least once a month). the advice sounds like a good idea, just in case they actually stop you for whatever reason. best to be prepared for the worst.

OP
M
Reaction score
To make sure that it's actually a computer and not a decoy disguising a bomb. The reason I suggested this is that every single time I've been through security since 9/11 with a laptop, pager, PDA or any other electronic device they have ALWAYS required me to turn it on and show them that it's working. They don't make you wait until it's booted up, just long enough to see that it displays something (anything) on the screen.

oh ok so where does the readable CD come into play?
so that they dont see the contents of ur computer?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh ok so where does the readable CD come into play?
so that they dont see the contents of ur computer?

Dunno - that wasn't my suggestion. I'm not sure how that factors in.

EDIT: My guess, after giving this some thought, is that it will delay the time it takes for the computer to start loading the OS. This way, you don't have to worry about damaging the disk structure by abruptly turning it off during boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Really...try telling that to UK Citizens when they arrive in USA
trust me,....... they are treated badly ..by morons who should be in special needs homes.

Great, I'm flying to the USA in August. As if flying isn't scary enough, I have to be treated badly when I arrive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, I'm flying to the USA in August. As if flying isn't scary enough, I have to be treated badly when I arrive.

Meh... there will always be isolated incidents from overzealous TSA workers who have a god complex, given a little bit of authority. Personally, all of my experiences have been very good with the TSA employees always being friendly and courteous. Maybe it's because I'm a US citizen, but I don't think so. Those folks are processing thousands of people every day and they know everyone is stressed out, so they try to keep the mood as light as possible. I can't imagine that they'd pick on UK citizens in particular when dealing with so many people daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Meh... there will always be isolated incidents from overzealous TSA workers who have a god complex, given a little bit of authority. Personally, all of my experiences have been very good with the TSA employees always being friendly and courteous. Maybe it's because I'm a US citizen, but I don't think so. Those folks are processing thousands of people every day and they know everyone is stressed out, so they try to keep the mood as light as possible. I can't imagine that they'd pick on UK citizens in particular when dealing with so many people daily.

Cool. From what I hear I'm going to get it in the neck from the UK people coming back, who really ARE rude and discourteous, so at least the trip will be okay in one direction. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.