Hidden partition on iBook G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 w/ OSX Tiger
Hi, everybody.:)
I was just given a iBook G4 running OS X Tiger and I wondered if there was a hidden system partition that held the files needed to reinstall the OS so I can do all my own setting up. I was not given any disks with this gift and I want to check about this before I shell out $$ for a new set of disks.
I am a long time Linux user and help mod a couple Linux-related forums but I have not used a Mac since ver.4.
I did do a couple searches at this forum and on Google but had no luck finding the answer.
Any alternative suggestions are very welcome. :)
I really like this site and am sure I will have plenty more questions to ask later on.
TIA
lynch

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are no install partitions on Macs. You need either the iBook G4 install disks or a Full install of 10.4 Tiger. You might check Ebay for the Tiger install, but don't get a machine specific 10.4 unless it's for your machine as it probably will not work. The full install works with everything as long as your iBook has a DVD drive. Do you know what CPU is in that iBook? Is it a 12" or 14"?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 w/ OSX Tiger
It's a 12"; I'll post back more info when I return from work this evening.
Thanks for the speedy reply, dtravis7. :)
lynch

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's a 12"; I'll post back more info when I return from work this evening.
Thanks for the speedy reply, dtravis7. :)
lynch

If you click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and on about this mac, it will give you the specs.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 w/ OSX Tiger
Here you go:
Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 w/ OSX Tiger
Thanks but I'm waiting to see if the person who gave me this iBook still has the disks that came with it. That and I dont use EBay. ;)
lynch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.