Auto-mounting NAS

Reaction score
How can I get my NAS device to mount automatically? I've created an Automator script that mounts at login but I rarely log out/in or restart so this isn't that useful. It wouldn't be a major issue but whenever my iMac sleeps it drops the mount (I assume this is a security "feature". It seems that sleeping a Mac drops network connectivity. I've seen threads querying Internet etc disconnection on sleep and there doesn't seem to be a workaround) so whenever I wake the machine I have to re-mount the NAS. Surely there's a better way than Automator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Just create an alias of the mounted drive and leave it on your desktop. Then in the Finder preferences uncheck "show mounted drives on desktop". That way there will only be one icon to represent the mount. Whenever you loose connection just double click the alias to remount the NAS. Be sure to use the keychain when mouting to avoid entering credentials to mount the NAS everytime.

OP
U
Reaction score
yeah, tried that. It works but doesn't always manage to mount. I often find a ? on the alias icon, indicating an issue, which I assume is because the authentication has been lost since it was last mounted. This may work if I remove authentication completely but I'm not too keen on that idea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Is it a Buffalo Tech NAS device?

I hope not for your sake.

I've had nothing but issues with them. Total security holes in their web interface, and lack of Mac support.

Try KeyChain first aid. Also try deleting the Keychain entry for the NAS and re adding it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.