• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Horizontal panning issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.33Ghz 2Mb RAM 250GHD
Hi there - I have a new Sony DCR-SR300, and an iMac 24". I can view the MPEG-2 content via Quicktime Pro (purchased) and use MPEG Streamclip to get it to .DV format for use in iMovie.

When I run the picture straight out of the camera into my 4:3 TV it is perfect.

HOWEVER, when I run it through Quicktime or MPEG Streamclip I get a picture that looks like it has a saw tooth pattern around the edges whenever I pan - when the camera is steady there is no problem.

Here is an example...

The problem flows right through into the final DVD creation.

Any hints greatly appreciated and thanks... Shane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" 1.67 gHz, 2GB RAM 60GB ipod Video,iPod Shuffle, MacPro 2.33 5GB RAM,1.5TB 2x20" :o)
Hi Shane M,

This is to do with the field order of the video,

Are you in the US or Uk?

Or NTSC or PAL,

I had this trouble many times all it comes down to is either swapping the field order around or if its for use purely on the net/computers then de-interlacing the source media will forget the field order.

Let me know

James

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guessed from my searches before posting here that it was the field order but thanks for confirming it! What I don't know is how to change it!

Iwork in PAL (25fps) and am in Australia.

As mentioned I have quicktime pro 7 and MPEG Streamclip.

When I display the file info in MPEG Streamclip it states "Video Tracks:
224 MPEG-2, 720 × 576, 16:9, 25 fps, 9.10 Mbps, upper field first"

But I can't see anywhere to change this.

Thanks again,
Shane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" 1.67 gHz, 2GB RAM 60GB ipod Video,iPod Shuffle, MacPro 2.33 5GB RAM,1.5TB 2x20" :o)
Ok PAL should be Lower Field First.

You could try opening the movie in quicktime then going to View>Movie Properties>video Track>Visual Setting then tick de-interlace box

That might work?

Let me know ill carry on thinking

James

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried that one James, no luck though... thanks for looking over this for me though - I am happy to try another programme if you think that will help.

I'm in Australia so about to head to bed, will check in tomorrow and thanks again.

Shane.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Success! Deinterlacing in Quicktime did nothing however de-interlacing in MPEG Streamclip at the conversion to DV stage got the desired result! Most annoying thing therefore is that I paid $30 for a QuickTime upgrade I didn't need! - Oh well, will probably end up using it along the line.

Thanks for the advice James.

Regards,
Shane.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.