Clamshell help!!

Reaction score
I managed to get a hold of a perfect apple clamshell from an auction. After loading it up, I found out that it was once a school laptop for students to use, so it has a network login on boot up. I want a fresh copy of mac osx panther installed. What will I need to do to do this? I have an iMac G5 if in case I need to use it for anything regarding install etc. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
You'd probably need a ton more RAM. Do you know how much it has? Don't try to load X on it without finding out whether it needs a firmware update first.

What's its processor speed? If it will run X, you'll need an all-model install disk, and if it can't read DVDs, you'd need to order it on CDs that cost an extra $10 U.S., I think. The DVD installer that came with the G5 won't work anyway, even if it's Panther, because the installer that ships with any computer is model specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You need a copy of panther and install it. If the clamshell has firewire, why not upgrade to tiger? You need to upgrade the RAM, the most you can get within your budget is best. Possibly a new HD, a 7200RPM drive will make the whole computer function faster.
I had a clamshell, 466MHz I believe, and ran Panther fine with 256MB RAM and an 60GB 7200RPM HD. It skips alot when watching movies though. 466MHz was a little slow for watch full screen movies.
Discs are model specific, so you can't use the G5 iMac discs. You will need a retail copy of 10.3.
Hope you get out it what you want.
Bryan

OP
T
Reaction score
Well i know for sure it doesnt have any RAM upgrades becase it takes a good 5 minutes to boot into login, and besides I cant view any of the specs without logging in. How do I upgrade the firmware, or how do I know whether (sp) it needs an upgrade? I know it takes PC100 RAM which I can get off most computer websites, but where would I get Panther on a CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it running OS9? You need version 9.2.2 with the firmware upgrade to get any version of 10 on the laptop (I believe.)
If you have a version of OS X, you can just install the latest version.
Panther you can get on eBay. I think you can pick up a copy for $30 or so.
Bryan

Reaction score
bryphotoguy, you are 100% correct about needing OS 9.2.2 with the Firmware upgrade before jumping to OS X. The Firmware upgrade is extremely important as Brown Study noted. AFAIK you can get the 9.2.2 upgrade for free from a number of sites.

At the moment a good web browser for Mac OS 9 can be found here:

WaMCom.org

Basically, it's an early Mozilla build compatible with Mac OS 9 and your download is under this heading:

Apple Mac OS 8.6 and 9.x classic binary (stuffit directory) (15 MB)

You might also find this link useful:

Mac OS 9: Available Updates

OP
T
Reaction score
Guys; I really appreciate all of this great info! However, I think I'm screwed because i can't get a firware update unless I am able to login to my mac, which I am unable to do! AH!!

Reaction score
Guys; I really appreciate all of this great info! However, I think I'm screwed because i can't get a firware update unless I am able to login to my mac, which I am unable to do! AH!!

If and when you get the Panther Disc, just boot up from it pressing the 'C' key when you hear the startup chime. Then you should be able to install the upgrade.

If you buy the OS X install DVDs make sure that they have a big X on the label. This denotes that they're the Full Retail Software & Restore Discs which are the ones you specifically need.

You can read about the difference between Model Specific Software Installation & Restore Discs and Full Retail Software Installation & Restore Discs here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, wait a minute... I am pretty sure I did not have to do all this when upgraded to Panther. I think I was able to do a fresh install after I installed the 60GB HD in the machine and skipped putting OS9 on it. I don't remember having this much trouble.
OS X Panther Install CD's
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.