How Long are the iMac Cables?

Reaction score
If you've been following me, I was thinking of getting a Macbook. But after looking over the iMac I think that it would be a better choice for me. I need power, not portability.

But I must know how long the cables are for it. For the most part I need to know how long the keyboard cable is.

I have one of those desk with the pull out keyboard platform. The cable would have to come out the back of the iMac, around the back of the desk and back to the front. About 42 inches would do. Mouse is no problem because it could plug right into the keyboard and set next to it.

But I hear it's only 33 inches. So I would have to get an extender or go wireless (Hello, batteries).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Not sure how long the cable is... but I will say this... the Energizer E2 batteries that cam with my Apple Wireless Keyboard went 6 months and still showed 2 of the 6 (I believe) status bars as charged... it was amazing!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yes, battery life for the Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse are pretty awesome. I have a set of rechargable NiMH AAs that I switch out/recharge. I get about 2-3 months for the mouse, and I think I'm only on my second set with the keyboard in the four months I've had it. I even regularly don't turn off the keyboard when I take my Macbook to work.

Frees up the USB ports quite nicely too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The wired keyboard has a short cable and definitely could not do what you are looking for without an extension

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just get the wireless keyboard and mouse, you know that it looks better that way :p

OP
N
Reaction score
I was looking at the wireless keyboard/mouse. Problem is I use my computer very heavily. At least eight hours a day as sad as it sounds. Is the battery life still that long with that much use?

I appreciate your responses, yet I still don't have an answer to my original question. If I knew the cable link I could measure my desk and find out that the keyboard would work after all.

Reaction score
I was looking at the wireless keyboard/mouse. Problem is I use my computer very heavily. At least eight hours a day as sad as it sounds. Is the battery life still that long with that much use?

I appreciate your responses, yet I still don't have an answer to my original question. If I knew the cable link I could measure my desk and find out that the keyboard would work after all.

Seriously, after seeing RIDE's post you're still worried about battery life? You're lucky for a keyboard to last you one month, his lasted him 6 months, and he probably uses his mac just as much as you (no offense). Please don't worry about that, don't be a nit picker.

OP
N
Reaction score
Seriously, after seeing RIDE's post you're still worried about battery life? You're lucky for a keyboard to last you one month, his lasted him 6 months, and he probably uses his mac just as much as you (no offense). Please don't worry about that, don't be a nit picker.
It's just that I read reviews talking about how the battery life for the mouse and keyboard is under a month and how the Bluetooth linkup is total trash...

...But I'm sure it's just be people who don't know what they're doing, aren't turning their keyboard and mouse off when not using it, or PC fanboys that don't like Apple.

Not to mention going wireless cost another 60 bucks. I'm stretching it as is. :Oops:

Reaction score
It's just that I read reviews talking about how the battery life for the mouse and keyboard is under a month and how the Bluetooth linkup is total trash...

...But I'm sure it's just be people who don't know what they're doing, aren't turning their keyboard and mouse off when not using it, or PC fanboys that don't like Apple.

Not to mention going wireless cost another 60 bucks. I'm stretching it as is. :Oops:

Well you've now heard from more than one person that those reviews...were crap. So there you go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I can't speak to the mouse, but I use my Macbook quite a few hours a day and I've had the wireless keyboard for about 2 years now. I think I'm on my 5th set of batteries.

Caveat: I do turn it off when I'm not using it (at night, when I'm out of the house), so if you leave it on 24/7 your mileage may vary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I NEVER turned my keyboard off... (Doesn't it Auto-Off after a certain amount of time without use??).... I will say that I believe the Energizer e2 batteries have a great deal to do with it... I used regular Duracells in my wireless mouse, and they required more frequent changing.

As far as the bluetooth link... They have been linked for over 9 months, without 1 issue on OS X. The bluetooth link within XP (via bootcamp) is another story though.

OP
N
Reaction score
I NEVER turned my keyboard off... (Doesn't it Auto-Off after a certain amount of time without use??).... I will say that I believe the Energizer e2 batteries have a great deal to do with it... I used regular Duracells in my wireless mouse, and they required more frequent changing.

As far as the bluetooth link... They have been linked for over 9 months, without 1 issue on OS X. The bluetooth link within XP (via bootcamp) is another story though.
The E2 are lithium based. That's why they last so long.

How many batteries does the keyboard take? I've seen ridiculous stuff like six, but I'm sure that isn't true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Four AAs for the keyboard, two for the mouse.

And another chime in for the review being crap. I even had to take my Macbook in for service Monday, and used my old Mac Mini as a stand-in. I paired up my keyboard and mouse just fine and it was almost as if I wasn't without my beloved Macbook.

When I got it back a quick re-pair (heh) with the Macbook and back in business.

Rechargable NiMH batteries kind of pops the air out of battery life issue arguements anyway.

Oh, and I can use the mouse to play UT2004. Changing weapons with the nipple ball is a little dicey, but it works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I did some searching around and it seems as though the cord length of the mouse is 29 inches and the keyboard is a bit longer. I also hear that the keyboard comes with an extension cord, so I guess you shouldn't really expect any problems with it reaching the iMac from under your desk

Reaction score
Four AAs for the keyboard, two for the mouse.

And another chime in for the review being crap. I even had to take my Macbook in for service Monday, and used my old Mac Mini as a stand-in. I paired up my keyboard and mouse just fine and it was almost as if I wasn't without my beloved Macbook.

When I got it back a quick re-pair (heh) with the Macbook and back in business.

Rechargable NiMH batteries kind of pops the air out of battery life issue arguements anyway.

Oh, and I can use the mouse to play UT2004. Changing weapons with the nipple ball is a little dicey, but it works fine.

Do tell me, what's the difference between a ball and a nipple ball? I'm intrigued.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A ball, as in one you would find on the bottom of a regular non-optical mouse is about one cm in diameter, while a ball you'd find on a trackball pointing device would be anywhere near 2-4 cm in diameter. The ball on the Mighty Mouse (which occupies the space where you'd find a wheel on any other mouse) is about the size of, well, a nipple. Okay, a very small nipple.

It allows you to scroll in any direction, but it's so small that it takes awhile to get used to. Once you do, other mice feel weird.

Also you'll see reports that the 'squeeze buttons' are kind of hard to activate and awkward to use, and they are kind of right. I've gotten used to it though and use the side buttons (which must be used simultaneously with a squeeze) quite often to activate Exposé All Windows. You'll find out what the wonder of that is when you get your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.