Connecting Windows PCs to Mac PCs through SMB

D

d4rklit3

i have managed to network the macs 2gether but i cant get them to get to the Windows PC, it sees it but when i try to log into it, it says Could Not be Opened Because the original Item cannot be found. any ideas? (all the file sharing and windows sharing options are turned on in system preferences)

OP
J

jerodhusvar

What OS?

d4rklit3 said:
i have managed to network the macs 2gether but i cant get them to get to the Windows PC, it sees it but when i try to log into it, it says Could Not be Opened Because the original Item cannot be found. any ideas? (all the file sharing and windows sharing options are turned on in system preferences)

What OS on the PC? Do you have your folders set up to be shared on the Windows PC? IIRC SMB only works on 2000 and XP, or possibly just XP.

jjh

OP
J

jerodhusvar

d4rklit3 said:
im using XP, and the whole Drive is Shared

Do you, by any chance, have the Firewall function in XP turned on? If so, turn it off. If not, I'll keep thinking. :)

jjh

OP
D

d4rklit3

nope, what im thinking is that these computers are on a HUB, but they are assigned IPs through the UMBC (My School) Subnet, we also have a wireless router but the computer are not directly hooked into it. It goes get the internet from the hub which gets it through the wall. Im thinking if i was to hook in the wall to the Router and the Hub into one of the LAN ports of the router i can use that router to assign private IPs for a LAN to all the computer that way they would work. Also the PC is on a Novell Client ( I dont know why but i cant take it off )

OP
J

jerodhusvar

d4rklit3 said:
nope, what im thinking is that these computers are on a HUB, but they are assigned IPs through the UMBC (My School) Subnet, we also have a wireless router but the computer are not directly hooked into it. It goes get the internet from the hub which gets it through the wall. Im thinking if i was to hook in the wall to the Router and the Hub into one of the LAN ports of the router i can use that router to assign private IPs for a LAN to all the computer that way they would work. Also the PC is on a Novell Client ( I dont know why but i cant take it off )

The novell client, while annoying, shouldn't cause you any problems. Putting your router between the school's DHCP server and your PC's is an idea, putting everything onto a private subnet couldn't hurt. Make sure you're not gonna get in trouble with the school. Give that set up a shot and let us know what you come up with.

jjh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.