Help deciding

Reaction score
Hi,

Right now I am deciding between the first and second model of the mac book pro. Next year I'll be a freshman in college as a Graphic Design major and I'll be working with the Adobe CS3.

The main reason for me buying the second model is for the 256 MB graphics card, but will the 128 MB one be enough? Do I really need the 256 MB for CS3, will it make that big of a difference. It's a $500 price comparison which is a lot for me right now and I don't know if it's really worth it.

I'd like to hear some opinions from you guys, since you all know more than me hah :)

Links

Thank you,
Bijan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
Well, I got the 2.2 ghz, obviously there is hardly a difference between the .2 ghz . Now, do you need a 160 gb hd? I dont. Video Card Memory means very little or nothing as far as CS3 is concerned (thats what the fellow at apple told me). Unless you are a real "Gamer" I'd go with the 2.2 I am no less than thrilled with it, the screen is amazing and so is everything else.

I wouldve gotten a 12" macbook pro if that was available, but this 15 is doing right by me, Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
2.2 128mb. save the money, and buy your girlfriend/boyfriend dinner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
one more thing... You can add up to 4gb of ram for $206 shipped making that beauty a powerhouse speedster, I did it. My only second thought in this whole process was, should i have gotten the 13.3 with 160 gb? now I know the LED lit screen and sheer beauty was well worth it

OP
B
Reaction score
I play some games but nothing that requires 256 MB.
I think I've made my decision, thanks so much.
I think in a year or so after I get the laptop I will upgrade to more RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17, C2D, 2.33 ghz 2g RAM, 160g HDD
the one big issue no one has said is that the video ram is forever. I mean you can never upgrade it. the ram you can upgrade when ever.

will the more video ram run CS3 better. yes it will. not a huge difference but still a difference. and if you ever plan to do any video editing it defiantly makes a difference.

Get the most you can afford at the time. cut the HDD back to smaller one. you can always use an external and upgrade the internal later. but since the processor and video you can not upgrade ever on these machines I would get the most you possibly can. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks timdjohn,
See, that is exactly what I was originally thinking. Those are the two things you can never upgrade on your laptop but is it worth $500.
For me, I can barely afford the base model of the MBP... getting the second was pushing it to the complete max. I also won't be doing any video editing, strictly web and graphic design.

Obviously I want the second model but do I really need it? I plan on having this laptop for at least four years, is it that big of a deal? That $500 pays for my car for two months :]

Also, is this considered a good deal for Apple? A free iPod, CS3 for $300, and a free printer. I feel like when they do this, it's actually the worst time ever to buy the actual computer. I have a feeling they will upgrade the chip again soon and I know that they are completely redesigning the next iPod to match the iPhone's 3.5 touch screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.