iBook and Wireless Internet

I

integra220

Hi all. At the moment I have a wireless network in my flat. I'm using a Linksys router to split the connection between me and my flatmate's laptop.

I'm just wondering if all I need for the iBook is the AirPort Extreme card to be able to use the wirleless connection?

Also, am I able to run my ibook through my PC monitor?

OP
W

wickedbusa

I can answer your question about the router, but am not too familiar about the PC monitor. All you need for your iBook to connect to your Linksys router is an Airport Extreme card. Install it, turn on the laptop, and it will see the connection right away. That is what I use at home and although I can't get a full signal, even when I am right next to the router, it works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You will need to get the VGA adapter from apple to use the PC monitor but iBooks do not support panning monitors so it will just mirror what your iBook shows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
trpnmonkey41 said:
You will need to get the VGA adapter from apple to use the PC monitor but iBooks do not support panning monitors so it will just mirror what your iBook shows

Mine came with the adapter (I believe all iBooks do), so there shouldn't be a problem hooking it up.

wickedbusa said:
I can answer your question about the router, but am not too familiar about the PC monitor. All you need for your iBook to connect to your Linksys router is an Airport Extreme card. Install it, turn on the laptop, and it will see the connection right away. That is what I use at home and although I can't get a full signal, even when I am right next to the router, it works well.

Are you using the latest Airport software version, and are you certain the antenna is plugged in securely? I get excellent reception with my iBook, even when I'm two floors below the Linksys router.

OP
W

wickedbusa

I have the latest airport software and my antenna is plugged in as far as it can go. I can get about 3/4 of a signal. but not full. Nevertheless, it works flawlessly especially with the Camino browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its strange with most of the iBooks and the AE cards i never see them get full signal on the wireless.

I have the Titanium PB with standard AirPort and I get full signal in my room which is 3rd floor front of the house with a router 1st floor back of the house

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
trpnmonkey41 said:
Its strange with most of the iBooks and the AE cards i never see them get full signal on the wireless.

I have the Titanium PB with standard AirPort and I get full signal in my room which is 3rd floor front of the house with a router 1st floor back of the house

My iBook is using standard Airport as well. I wonder if that has something to do with it? It gets exceptional reception - the best out of any of the wireless products we've used in my house.

OP
W

wickedbusa

So you think that if I swapped my Airport extreme card with a regular Airport card, I would have better reception? That is weird.

OP
I

integra220

Loads of replies. Just wondering, what's the difference between the two Airport cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you cant just switch the cards because they are different size and not compatible with each other.

Airport is 802.11b
Airport Extreme is 802.11g which is faster

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
trpnmonkey41 said:
Well you cant just switch the cards because they are different size and not compatible with each other.

Airport is 802.11b
Airport Extreme is 802.11g which is faster

11 mb verse 54 mb.

OP
P

pcjabber

trpnmonkey41 said:

Certain iBooks can use multiple monitors. Read about it in MacAddict issue 94 (Jun 04). Tip #33: "Span Your Screen"
MacAddict 94 said:
As far back as the PowerBook G3 (Bronze Keyboard), Apple's PowerBooks have supported the ability to span your desktop from the built-in display to a second external display. But did you know there's a hack to make that work on certain iBooks and iMacs that don't have this capability? Whether this hack works depends on your Mac's internal video circuitry. For example, it should work on the iBook G3/700 and faster (and some 600MHz models), the iBook G4 models, the 17- and 20-inch iMac G4s (and very recent 15-inchers) and the eMac models with the ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card. See http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html for the compatibility list, the disclaimer, and the software you need to make this work.

Now, to cover my butt:
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF THAT PAGE, OR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY DO TO YOUR iBook, iMac, eMac, or other machine WITH THAT PATCH. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

--PCjabber

OP
N

nesuser2

Well I'm no expert but having used wireless access points of various types all over my house, I will note the following.

Wireless G is rated higher but you won't notice that big of a difference when running on the internet.

Wireless B runs alot smoother than G in my honest opinion. I've had B in both of my ibooks and they get outstanding reception. Not only great reception, but I can load sites faster on my ibook wirelessly than I can on my PC with a direct connection.

Wireless G, all you ever hear is people complain about weak signal strength. When I first bought my G router, it wouldn't stay connected for more than 3 minutes or so...so on most chat programs with a real connection......up and down goes your connection.

I personally thing G is pretty buggy compared to B. As well, Extreme of G really isn't worth the extra money.

For reference, I'm running

Linksys B router
Belkin G router
Linksys wireless PC card(B)
Linksys wireless PCMCIA card(B)
Belkin wireless PCMCIA card(G)
Apple Airport Card(B)
Soon to be Apple Airport and we'll see how good that treats me!

As well, I've only ever owned a G3 ibook and the original Airport card...so I'm curious, what is the deal with the card size. I see somebody mentions above that you can't just swap them? That's pretty odd if you ask me. So, I couldn't put the airport extreme card in my G3 book, and a G4 book can't use the original? Just curious, good info to know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The extreme card is a square fat thing and if i remember correctly the normal airport card looks a bit like a pcmcia card (i.e. more like a big credit card)

edit:

I just opened up my keyboard to check out the airport extreme card, and that thing is TINY!

I thought it'd be like a square pci card judging by it's retail box (i've only seen them in stores as mine came pre-installed) but it's more like the siye of two thumbs next to each other (wierd description i know, but i can't think of any other general references...;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.