AcomData External Drive Problems

Reaction score
I have an AcomData 320GB external drive that's supposed to operate at USB 2.0 speeds. However, it's registering as a USB 1.1 device, and so it's operating at USB 1.1 speeds, which is unacceptable for what I'm trying to use it for.

I believe the problem is the special "CD" partition that the drive contains. It is "unformatable," supposedly, and mounts before the FAT32 other partitions on the drive. I think this forces it into USB 1.1 mode.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Or experience with these drives?

The problem exists in windows, too, and on other computers, by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Dumb question, but is it plugged into a USB 2 port? Do all the new Macs have USB 2 only?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since he is using a Macbook there would be nothing but USB 2.0 ports. Is the drive plugged straight into the Macbook or through a hub? You are the 2nd person here to have issues with that very drive running at 1.1. Does the drive have Firewire also or just USB?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm plugged directly into the Macbook's USB 2.0 ports. Unfortunately, the drive is only USB, so firewire, of course, is not a current option.

Any suggestions about getting rid of that other "unformattable" partition so the drive can just be a normal USB 2.0 drive?

AcomData hasn't responded to my e-mails and such and it's been nearly 4 months or so. Probably the worst company I have ever dealt with - I strongly recommend that no one buy anything from them.

Reaction score
I have that same "hi-speed" USB 2.0 Acomdata 320GB external hard disk, and I can't get it to operate above 12mbit/s on my iBook G4 either. It won't connect to my hi-speed USB 2.0 powered hub at all. It will work when plugged directly into my iBook G4, but not in 480mbit mode. Other similar devices like the 1TB Seagate Freeagent work in hi-speed mode on my USB 2.0 ports and hub, but I don't have another machine with USB 2.0 to test the Acomdata on. I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have that same "hi-speed" USB 2.0 Acomdata 320GB external hard disk, and I can't get it to operate above 12mbit/s on my iBook G4 either. It won't connect to my hi-speed USB 2.0 powered hub at all. It will work when plugged directly into my iBook G4, but not in 480mbit mode. Other similar devices like the 1TB Seagate Freeagent work in hi-speed mode on my USB 2.0 ports and hub, but I don't have another machine with USB 2.0 to test the Acomdata on. I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Try completely erasing the drive and re-format it using Disk Utility. Format it to DOS (FAT-32). That's a long shot but it may work. I suspect those particular AcomData drives have defective firmware and\or drive electronics and probably should have been recalled or returned. Not much you can about that....

Another thing you might try: Remove the drive from its case and place it in an external USB 2.0 case. That has a better chance of working.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.