is there a way to lock a folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
so the only way to view the folders contents would be with the system password??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you shrunk the folder into a passworded zip or dmg file. Would that be suitable? As I'm not sure how to password a folder like that. But maybe a terminal savy person might know how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Personally, I used disk utility to create and encrypted and password protected disk image. I then put my confidential documents inside that and ejected it. To get access, I have to enter a password to mount the disk image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Personally, I used disk utility to create and encrypted and password protected disk image. I then put my confidential documents inside that and ejected it. To get access, I have to enter a password to mount the disk image.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you this exactly? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Open Disk Utility: \Applications\Utilities\Disk Utility.app

Click New Image on the toolbar

For "Encryption", choose "AES-128".

You'll then be prompted to choose a password.
Type in a password and verify it.
Also, uncheck "Remember password (add to Keychain)".
Then click OK.

That's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
It's that simple :) It's taken from directions on Apple's site http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

To use the disk image:

1. Double click on the created .dmg file to mount the disk, this should require a password. Don't allow keychain access to this password or it will fill it in automatically and void the whole reason for having a password! Make sure the check box is not checked when the password entry dialogue appears.

2. Drop your file into the disk image.

3. Eject the disk image

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's that simple :) It's taken from directions on Apple's site http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

To use the disk image:

1. Double click on the created .dmg file to mount the disk, this should require a password. Don't allow keychain access to this password or it will fill it in automatically and void the whole reason for having a password! Make sure the check box is not checked when the password entry dialogue appears.

2. Drop your file into the disk image.

3. Eject the disk image

thanks a lott

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there a way to go back and edit the disk image to make it a larger size?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Why not just make a new larger image and move the data across, then delete the old image when finished.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just make a new larger image and move the data across, then delete the old image when finished.

yea i will

another thing, it lets you delete the image without a password
is there a way around thaT?

Reaction score
you could change the permissions on the image so it can't be deleted. I imagine you will only be able to edit the permissions with the image password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I use a program called Hide Folders. Its free and funnily enough, hides folders from view. Even if you stumble upon the program and bring up the screen that shows that there are hidden folders, you are then prompted for a password before going any further. Works for me.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19410/hide-folders

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.